4u Case Options

skipfrog

Cadet
I am replacing my current Synology RS1219+ with my first TrueNas build and starting with case options. The rack is right next to my desk and I would prefer it to be very quiet. I don't need 4U, but my thoughts are they will be quietest since they will have larger fan options (even if I choose to replace stock fans with something quieter). So, my needs are quiet, at least 8 bays, and good quality. I am thinking I should stay clear of any case from SuperMicro since they will be generally loud.

The two options I have found:
Any feedback on these cases, or any that might better fit my needs?

Nick2253

Wizard
If noise is your primary concern, hotswappable disks are your enemy. In order to get sufficient airflow to disks through the backplane and around the drive sleds, you need high airflow and high static-pressure fans, which almost always means loud.

I'd look for cases that have two stacks of 3x 5.25" bays, and then put 4x 3.5 to 3x 5.25 adapters to get you to 8 drives.

Nick2253

Wizard
Yeah, I would think a case like that would be much quieter. Or rather, you could still keep the drives cool without requiring a bunch of noisy fans.

I would probably go with this version (https://www.newegg.com/rosewill-rsv-l4500u-black/p/N82E16811147328) because you get three fans up front, which will help with more airflow at less noise.

rvassar

Guru
When you go rack mount, you're asking for massive density. Something like 8+ 4U servers in the footprint of a large filling cabinet. Most of us homelab types have one or two servers at most, so this suggests another solution. I use a tower gaming case. Six drives in the primary cage, and if I fully convert the 5.25 bays, room for another 10. I use big fans that spin slowly, and make almost no noise. Consider a lot of air moving slower than a typical rack mount case. You'll be happier in the long run.