3ware 9060sa and ZFS Volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

melits

Cadet
Hi

We have a RAID5 in 3Ware 9060SA with 4 discks in FreeNAS and ZFS System.

A few days, the controller marked 2 harddrives as BAD and turn the RAID5 with four disk into a "inoperable" unit.

after a few research on the internet, some people say that is easy to fix the problem deleting the unity and create again.

The problem is, freebsd and zfs don't recongnize the volume anymore.

I really need recover the information. what can i do?

best regards,

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You mentioned RAID5. Are you using a RAID setup from the controller? It sounds like you are because you mentioned that instead of RAIDZ1. If this is the case you are at the mercy of the RAID controller.

This is why it has been said over and over in this forum, in my guide, in the FAQ, and the manual not to use hardware RAID. FreeNAS should control the RAID because then you just have to plug the drives in to get them to work.

melits

Cadet
Yes, and i had backup...

- a Iomega storage in the client home to make remote backup - when i try do use the backup, founded the storage with two bad disks

- a make a copy in the freenas to one disk in UFS - i don't know why, freenas damage all the information at the second disk.

how it's possible lost 7 disks at the same time in diferent places?

You mentioned RAID5. Are you using a RAID setup from the controller? It sounds like you are because you mentioned that instead of RAIDZ1. If this is the case you are at the mercy of the RAID controller.

This is why it has been said over and over in this forum, in my guide, in the FAQ, and the manual not to use hardware RAID. FreeNAS should control the RAID because then you just have to plug the drives in to get them to work.

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
What are you talking about?

You had 7 disks, lost 2, you are simply screwed, RAID5 can only stand the lost of 1 disk AFAIK.

Status
Not open for further replies.