23.2 SCALE - How to remove disks from boot-pool?

HiSi

Cadet
When installing TrueNAS SCALE 23.10.2 for the initial time (I have never used TrueNAS before, I was not thinking (or misread) and selected both hard disks (mirrored) and the ssd as bootable.
Now I cannot create any pools because there are no disks available.
I would like to have only the ssd as bootable.
I saw in an old posts this is possible to detach disks from a pool, but in this latest version there is only replace (which is not useful for this particular scenario)
I don't mind using the command line (there used to be a zpool remove command but it wasn't recognised), but prefer there was something in the UI to make a disk unbootable.
Appreciate any ideas you may have.
regards,
Simon

tomathom

Cadet
TrueNAS Scale has a bug (commented on a few posts) which means you can't remove a drive from the boot-pool view the UI

There is a post about doing this at a shell level here: https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/remove-a-failed-disk-from-a-boot-pool-mirror.111072/

Basically:
  1. List the drives part of the bool-pool, and note the name
    • sudo zpool status boot-pool
  2. then remove the drive based on the serial number
    • sudo zpool detach boot-pool {{DRIVE_NAME}}
You mention the zpool command not working - could you grab a screenshot of this from the shell?
(Note: can use the shell within the TrueNAS UI to do this :smile: )

HiSi

Cadet
TrueNAS Scale has a bug (commented on a few posts) which means you can't remove a drive from the boot-pool view the UI

There is a post about doing this at a shell level here: https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/remove-a-failed-disk-from-a-boot-pool-mirror.111072/

Basically:
  1. List the drives part of the bool-pool, and note the name
    • sudo zpool status boot-pool
  2. then remove the drive based on the serial number
    • sudo zpool detach boot-pool {{DRIVE_NAME}}
You mention the zpool command not working - could you grab a screenshot of this from the shell?
(Note: can use the shell within the TrueNAS UI to do this :smile: )

HiSi

Cadet
FANTASTIC! Worked like a dream.
I was trying to do the same thing via grub cli (hence the errors)
Whereas I should've used the web UI :System settings->Shell
Thanks @tomathom