12 hdd workstation vs synology DS2415+

Status
Not open for further replies.

jujubre

Cadet
Hello,
I am trying to put together parts for a Freenas workstation with 12 HDD. It comes to me that it is the same price compared to the Synology DS2415+. My budget can be as high as 8,000$CAD. I am willing to buy the Synology one unless someone tells me that I am doing a mistake.

My needs :
  • storage only (12 x WD red 6TB)
  • NFS for linux mount
  • 2 drives redundancy
  • not rackmount, to be able to move it in 2 years, and store it in an office
  • encryption (not sure yet as I may use encfs. I have read here that disk encryption may lead easily to a file system loss)

What I do not need :
  • network speed
  • disk speed (mainly storage)

Why I think Freenas can be better :
  • tweakable
  • compression
  • absolute silence (fractal X2 case)

Synology better :
  • warranty 3 years
  • support
  • work right out of the box
As my signature shows it, I have built both system and I am familiar with both Synology and ZFS systems, shell and GUI.

My Freenas parts so far, around 1,800$CAD (without taxes), no CPU yet :
  • MBD-X10SRH-CF-O
  • 2 x Samsung DDR4-2133 16GB/2Gx72 ECC/REG CL15 (M393A2G40DB0-CPB)
  • Fractal Design Define XL R2
  • SeaSonic X-1050 ( SS-1050XM2 ) 1050W (maybe 650 one would be enough)
  • Fractal Design Silent Series R2 FD-FAN-SSR2-140 140mm 140mm Fan 30 30
Synology DS2415+ : 2,224$CAD (without taxes)

Do you have any input?
Am I doing a mistake?

Thanks for reading.
J.

Last edited:

j_r0dd

Contributor
My first nas was a Thecus and although it served it's purpose for a few years it did not have the power to do any transcoding for Plex. Most prebuilt boxes are a ripoff imho. They are ok for straight file serving and samba will suffer more on those boxes as well. Once you go zfs and freenas there is no going back imho. Way more bang for the buck.

JDCynical

Contributor
Hello,
I am trying to put together parts for a Freenas workstation with 12 HDD. It comes to me that it is the same price compared to the Synology DS2415+. My budget can be as high as 8,000$CAD. I am willing to buy the Synology one unless someone tells me that I am doing a mistake.

My needs :
  • storage only (12 x WD red 6TB)
  • NFS for linux mount
  • 2 drives redundancy
  • workstation format, to be able to move it in 2 years, and store it in an office
  • encryption (not sure yet as I may use encfs. I have read here that disk encryption may lead easily to a file system loss)
Workstation format? As in put the hardware in a tower case? Supermicro sells several tower cases with 8 hotswap bays included, such as the 743TQ listed here. Add one of those 3/4 drives in 3 chassis, such as the M35T from Supermicro, and you will have 13 bays for drives in a tower.

Why I think Freenas can be better :
  • tweakable
  • compression
  • absolute silence (fractal X2 case)
To a point. Don't forget that FreeNAS was designed to be an appliance, so there are limits as to just how deep you can tweak it.

A few definitions I'm working from:
  • Workstation: Machine that used for various purposes (email, writing and compiling code, graphical design, etc) that is interacted with via the console
  • Server: Dedicated machine that sits in the corner, usually headless, performs some functions but generally does not have anyone interacting with the machine directly at a console
  • Appliance: Similar to a server, but more focused in scope, functions, with an ability to be tweaked that is (very?) limited
Your comment of 'workstation' is what slightly concerns me as FreeNAS is designed as a server/appliance, not a workstation. If you are just after a FreeNAS appliance/server in a tower case, that's very possible.

Can you be a bit more specific as to what you are wanting to do with this system?

jujubre

Cadet
Justin: I choose poorly the term to express the 'movable' function. This server should not be a rack, to stand in an office if I have to move in another building. I rephrased it.

I want to store big data. Mainly genetic data like sequencing data and medical imaging. I have currently 6TB stored on 2 x 3TB external drive and this should grow. Access could be like once a week, and may be down to once a month

JDCynical

Contributor
Justin: I choose poorly the term to express the 'movable' function. This server should not be a rack, to stand in an office if I have to move in another building. I rephrased it.

I want to store big data. Mainly genetic data like sequencing data and medical imaging. I have currently 6TB stored on 2 x 3TB external drive and this should grow. Access could be like once a week, and may be down to once a month
Ok, so what you are after is very possible with FreeNAS.

Data point: I built a new storage server for my dentist using that exact case and a X9 series Supermicro board (unfortunately windows due to software requirements) and they are tickled pink with how well it's working for them, both in performance and noise level in the office. They have it sitting in a 'case clip' with wheels for ease of movement if they need to get behind the machine for any reason (the case is rather long).

jujubre

Cadet
they are tickled pink with how well it's working for them, both in performance and noise level in the office.
I totally agree. And so does Synology for me, so far.

Is your point to be able to use the server for another purpose if needed (another linux, windows...)?

JDCynical

Contributor
Is your point to be able to use the server for another purpose if needed (another linux, windows...)?
No, just that the case is a viable option for what you were looking for, and is pretty quiet should that be a concern, if you choose to go down the FreeNAS route.

But your mention of re-purposing the hardware if FreeNAS turns out to not be the optimal choice is also a viable path.

I'd much rather have my FreeNAS server over any premade crap any day. Mainly due to the fact i know ill get far more use out of FreeNAS then any other NAS OS, granted you use the correct hardware, set the proper alerts, and configure monitoring for hdds and such it could in theory run forever(ish)

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Good lord for the price of that Supermicro case you have a lot of options out there at a much lower price point. I've got my setup in an Antec 1200 and I've been very happy with it so far. Quiet and great cooling, holds 12 drives and if you ever have the need for more than 12 drives you can use the hot swap cages listed above.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Do you have any input?
Since you are very clear about this being nothing but storage, it seems the biggest benefit you would get from FreeNAS is the underlying filesystem, ZFS. Do you understand the key differences between ZFS and other filesystems? If not, I suggest you read up on that to help you with your decision.
Synology better :
  • warranty 3 years
  • support
  • work right out of the box
Have you considered TrueNAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.