11.2-U8 to 11.3-U4.1 Windows Offline Files Sync Errors - IPC$ ACL problem?

ralphy

Dabbler
Suddenly my Windows offline files were coming up with sync errors "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process."

After some investigation, it appears that the problem has resulted from the upgrade to 11.3-U4.1. But I couldn't find anything in the forum that seems similar and has helped me solve the problem

Whilst I don't have any issues with accessing the files on the mapped drive in windows, whenever a windows sync request is made, the samba logs (/var/log/samba4/log.smdb) has the following error message:

Code:
[2020/10/04 14:26:24.336123,  1] ../../source3/smbd/service.c:348(create_connection_session_info)
  create_connection_session_info: guest user (from session setup) not permitted to access this share (IPC$)
[2020/10/04 14:26:24.336180,  1] ../../source3/smbd/service.c:531(make_connection_snum)
  create_connection_session_info failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

Is this an ACL issue due the the changes made in 11.3 to Samba and ACL's ? If so, what/how should I change the ACL information through the web interface. Do I need to apply ACL permissions recursively or strip ACLs? Both these advanced options sounds dangerous with potential disastrous consequences for the novice like I am.

Or is there something that I need to change in Windows 10 (1903.18362.1082) Interestingly, a check with Windows XP Pro doesn't seem to have any problems.

I am connecting to the Samba share with the user name in the ACL.
The owner ACL has all permissions checked except "delete" and "delete children".
Group and Other have read and execute access.

I don't recall editing the ACL's, after the upgrade to 11.3. In fact, I think I should be giving the group write access to the share as well.
Screenshot 2020-10-04 143823.png

ralphy

Dabbler
IPC$ is a special share. In 11.3 we switched the default for it to "restrict anonymous = 2". You can try setting to 0. https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/current/man-html/smb.conf.5.html#RESTRICTANONYMOUS
This solved the problem of the
"create_connection_session_info: guest user (from session setup) not permitted to access this share (IPC$)"
error, but did not resolve the sync problems with offline files. I still get the same windows error of
"The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process " during the sync.

Not sure what else has change from11.2U8 to 11.3U4-1 that could be causing my problems (recognising that there's 11.3-U5 now, but prefer to defer any updates unless they resolve any known isssues I have - this may be one?)