SOLVED 11.2-U5 updates fails to reboot.

endnot

Dabbler
Applied updates today. The reboot hung for a long time at:
Trying to mount root from xfs: freenas-boot/ROOT/11.2-U5
env: /usr/sbin/daemon: No such file or directory

Then: a bunch of errors related to middleware
Failed to run middleware call. Daemon not running?

The console setup menu is showing and it tells me where the web user interface is at, but I cannot access freenas using it. It looks like it is not connected to the network
I get this message when I try "Connecting to NAS... Make sure the NAS system is powered on and connected to the network."

I am not sure how to recover or to actually troubleshoot at this point. I would appreciate some advice.

Thanks

joeschmuck

Old Man
Reboot your system and from the console select the previous boot environment. This should restore your system to it's previous version. You may need to delete the failed boot environment from the GUI and then try again, or try to update manually.

endnot

Dabbler
Thank you. I was able to recover the previous boot environment. I missed seeing how to do that in the manual before i posted. Hopefully it will work 2 times. I have tried to update again and it has been stuck for a long time in the boot process. I may need to try to manually update. Not sure why this one is being difficult.

endnot

Dabbler
I was able to get 11.2-U5 to install. Based on what I see on the GUI it is 1.5G in size. Should that be correct?

1562279209758.png

joeschmuck

Old Man
Yes, my test machine also is 1.5G. I'm not sure why it's that high but it does match. Maybe there is a bug report on it because it does look to be a bit large.

Actually, can you show me the entire screen shot for the boot pool?

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
Created a bug report, should get an answer in the near future.

endnot

Dabbler
Sorry for the late response. I missed your request for a better screen shot. Unfortunately, I let the smoke out of my motherboard and I have been trying to figure out how to recover.
After reading the response from the bug report, I am not sure what the fix was, nor what the 1.5G actually represents - but that is a worry for another day. Thanks again for your help

joeschmuck

Old Man
Unfortunately, I let the smoke out of my motherboard
Well that is not a good thing, it's very difficult to put the magic smoke back in and to date I have been unsuccessful at doing it myself. Good luck.

I am not sure what the fix was, nor what the 1.5G actually represents
It's likely a very minor thing, they probably were incorrectly storing too much data such as some code that didn't need to be stored. It's only an issue for people who don't have much memory capacity on their boot device and they have to remove an old boot environment so the new one fits.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
they probably were incorrectly storing too much data such as some code that didn't need to be stored. It's only an issue for people who don't have much memory capacity on their boot device and they have to remove an old boot environment so the new one fits.

This is the main reason I switched to using two 64GB SATADOMs. While I would get a warning once the OEM 16GB module was 80% full, it's close to the margin. 20% of a 64GB module is a lot more spare space to play with / time before bad things may happen than 20% of the OEM 16GB module.