1.5tb for 2tb expand raid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miniwehats

Explorer
Just a quick question, when I built my NAS I had a mix of 2tb and 1.5tb drives so I ended up creating 2 Vdevs. 1 Vdev has all 2tb drives in it and its fine, the 2nd Vdev has 3 Drives, 1 1.5tb + 2 x 2tb drives. So currently those 2tb drives are getting 500 gig cut off on each drive correct? Also my question is can I replace that 1 1.5tb drive for a 2tb drive and will the other 2tb drives re size back up or do I need to destroy that Vdev and recreate it with all 2tb drives? Both of these are in the same Zpool so would that corrupt my data on the other Vdev? I can dump all the data off If I need to.

bollar

Patron
If you replace that 1.5TB drive, you'll get the space back on the two remaining 2.0TB drives after the replacement drive is resilvered.

Destroying the vdev is not an option -- that would kill the entire zpool.

Before attempting this, you want to be confident in the quality of your backups. The vdev with the new drive will not be redundant until the resilvering is complete. If one of the remaining drives in that vdev fails during the resilvering process, the entire zpool will be lost.

Miniwehats

Explorer
If you replace that 1.5TB drive, you'll get the space back on the two remaining 2.0TB drives after the replacement drive is resilvered.

Destroying the vdev is not an option -- that would kill the entire zpool.

Before attempting this, you want to be confident in the quality of your backups. The vdev with the new drive will not be redundant until the resilvering is complete. If one of the remaining drives in that vdev fails during the resilvering process, the entire zpool will be lost.

Awesome, what im going to do is do a complete backup to my other 6tb storage just incase something goes wrong. But is there a process to replacing that 1.5 with the 2tb? Just fail it out like any other drive?

bollar

Patron

Miniwehats

Explorer
Is there a process to replace a drive with a COLD drive? It seems like that process is only for HOT drive replacement. I am guessing I just need to reboot the NAS after the drive is OFFLINE mode and put the new drive in its spot then boot and it should show up? Right now after it gets offlined I put the new drive in but it sees the old drive as the replacement.

Miniwehats

Explorer
Ok so when trying to replace this drive I get an error "Cannot Open Vol0 Dataset does not exist" and my Vol0 does not show up in GUI looks like all the DISKS show up though just not in a Vdev or anything. When I put the OLD drive back in and boot up its all back to normal and showing that drive still as offline. So need a bit of help here replacing that 1.5tb Drive with the 2tb drive that is COLD.

Miniwehats

Explorer
So got the drive replaced and all is normal, except I didnt get the space back from those 2tb drives. Currently right now I have 2 Vdevs with 4 drives each 3+1 in each Vdev. Vdev 1 has all 2tb drives and the other vdev has all 1.5tb drives. Doing that math that should put me around a 9tb volume considering the takeaway from manufacturer and 2gb overhead per disk but volume status in the GUI shows 7.7TB Is there any command I need to do to get this to grow? I have double verified that all those drives are 2tb drives.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Did you reboot? Gotta reboot after the resilvering finishes to get the extra space.

paleoN

Wizard
Vdev 1 has all 2tb drives
Code:
zpool get autoexpand Vol0
For each 2TB device in that vdev:
Code:
zpool online -e Vol0 gptid/518cbece-e7fc-11e1-8afc-00045fb309e8

zpool online -e Vol0 gptid/7b92c455-2bca-11e2-ad71-00045fb309e8

etc...
Or whatever they are now.

Miniwehats

Explorer
That did the trick! Thanks for all your help guys.
Code:
zpool get autoexpand Vol0
For each 2TB device in that vdev:
Code:
zpool online -e Vol0 gptid/518cbece-e7fc-11e1-8afc-00045fb309e8

zpool online -e Vol0 gptid/7b92c455-2bca-11e2-ad71-00045fb309e8

etc...
Or whatever they are now.

Stephens

Patron
I haven't been paying extremely close attention, but at this point I have to ask. Are people doing the expand process incorrectly, is FreeNAS not working correctly, or do the docs need updating?

Miniwehats

Explorer
I am not sure I could not find the exact process so I made a post about it. Where is the exact process located at?

Stephens

Patron
Just to be clear, I'm not harping on your post. Yours isn't the first I've vaguely seen in browsing and usually there are some set of steps recommended (rebooting, etc.). Folks then usually get up and going. I'm just curious if the fix steps that get recomended are because the user did something wrong initially or something else. I don't see upgrading drives anytime soon (I'm more likely to just build a new NAS in my situation as use the old one for backup), but it's still nice to know. If FreeNAS itself isn't doing something it should be doing, maybe a bug report or feature request is in order. Likewise if the docs aren't saying what they should say.

paleoN

Wizard
Are people doing the expand process incorrectly, is FreeNAS not working correctly, or do the docs need updating?
Last one maybe? Not sure what the docs say.

Miniwehats can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe his pool is post 8.3.0-BETAs which is about when the commit happened that set autoexpand=on for new pools. It's up to the administrator, and should be, to change this for existing pools or alternatively to manually run the commands to expand the pool. The old way requires an export/import which AFAIK still works.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I don't believe the docs cover expanding the array. Every expansion I've done was automatic. Just had to reboot. Not sure when I tested it the first time though.

Status
Not open for further replies.