“Could not find the Database Engine startup handle” SQL Error in Virtual Machine (Bhyve)

TachyonMage

Cadet
Trying to install MS SQL on Windows 2008 R2 SP1 (dont ask, its a lab only), but keep failing the SQL install with the error “Could not find the Database Engine startup handle”. After some research it lead me down the track of disk formatting, sectors etc. which seems to be the root cause.

When you run the following command a subset of the information provided is below fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo c:

Code:
Bytes Per Sector  :                512
Bytes Per Physical Sector :        4096
Bytes Per Cluster :                4096
Bytes Per FileRecord Segment    :  1024

If the disk setup is as above (seems DEFAULT on True|FreeNAS), then the error happens, if as below (seems DEFAULT on VMWare), it does not. Seems the key is for "Bytes Per Sector" and "Bytes Per Physical Sector" to be aligned.

Code:
Bytes Per Sector  :                512
Bytes Per Physical Sector :        512
Bytes Per Cluster :                4096
Bytes Per FileRecord Segment    :  1024

In native BHYVE, using vm-bhyve for management, you can set disk options as below to control disk geometry.

Code:
disk0_opts="sectorsize=512"

Referance: https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/...ind-the-database-engine-startup-handle.72904/

Question is, how do you achieve this in the True|FreeNAS GUI when creating an instance? I have tried "record size" and "block size" on ZVOL and ZPOOL level, just to see if it affects it (n00b), but it had not effect.

Totally possible I missed something obvious, searched and tested a lot with no success so far. Considering this may impact ability to install SQL and could affect TrueNAS corporate market, thought it best to ask and confirm.

Thanks for any help & support.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Navigate through the GUI to the devices within a VM.

1599739803712.png

Select the DISK device, and click the 3 dots on the right to select Edit to modify the VM device properties.

1599739885206.png

There will be a pull-down to set the emulated sector size.

1599739951116.png

TachyonMage

Cadet
Thank you Samuel, appreciated ...

Its so obvious I must admit your line "Never underestimate your own stupidity" is very apt. :smile: