zraid1 setup for upgrades to 4k disks (FN8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

globus999

Contributor
I would like to create a raidz1 pool with 512 b disks that will be ready for 4K for future upgrades. Since ashifts cannot be changed once the raidz1 is created, I need to create them now.
Currently I have 4 hdds, all of them are 512 (.75, 1, 1 and 2 Gb respectively)
I am running FN8 and it does not yet support 4k disks. So, I figure I need to do it from the CLI and then import.
The idea is to create a raidz1 with an ashift of 12 now (even though I'll get some performance hit since I am using 512 hdd's) so that later on when those hdds get replaced by 4K disks they will be optimized.

From the CLI to create a raidz1 vol01 with an ashift of 12:

gnop create -S 4096 /dev/ad4
zpool create -m /mnt/zvol01 vol01 ad4.nop ad6 ad8 ad10
zpool export vol01
gnop destroy /dev/ad4.nop
zpool import
zpool import vol01

at this point it should be OK so, check:

zpool status
zpool list

then

zpool export vol01

and then from the GUI an auto import to have it visible in FN8.

Would this work?

globus999

Contributor
Use FN 8.0.1-BETA2, this has support for 4K.

tx but would rather not use beta versions, I am working on a "prod" system, don't have a dev box to try it on. Besides, will BETA2 allow me to force 4k on the HDDs even when they are not or will it only check?

Milhouse

Guru
tx but would rather not use beta versions, I am working on a "prod" system, don't have a dev box to try it on.

Your call, but IMHO 8.0.1-BETA2 is in much better shape than 8.0-RELEASE.

Besides, will BETA2 allow me to force 4k on the HDDs even when they are not or will it only check?

Yes, it will allow you to force 4K on drives that report themselves as having 512-byte sectors, but obviously only when initially creating the vdev.

J

jpaetzel

I'd say that 8.0-R has some fairly fundemental issues that 8.0.1 solves, that being said, 8.0-R is far more tested and the 8.0.1 stuff is still in beta because there are still issues popping up here and there.

So you're faced with a bit of a choice. Use a well tested version with some flaws, or use the 8.0.1 betas which have some of those flaws fixed but may have smaller transient issues. There are pros and cons either way.

globus999

Contributor
I'd say that 8.0-R has some fairly fundemental issues that 8.0.1 solves, that being said, 8.0-R is far more tested and the 8.0.1 stuff is still in beta because there are still issues popping up here and there.

So you're faced with a bit of a choice. Use a well tested version with some flaws, or use the 8.0.1 betas which have some of those flaws fixed but may have smaller transient issues. There are pros and cons either way.

Tx for the clarification.
At this point in time, since I am using minimum functionality, everything is working for me in 8.0, that's why I was hoping to create the raidz1 in CLI and then simply import. I know that following the script above described will create a raidz1 with an ashift of 12 OK, however, last time I tried on the system (when did not have data in it), it did not survive a reboot because I did not import it into FN8 through the GUI. It's this last step that has me worried more than the rest.

Milhouse

Guru
The volume import process is much more robust in 8.0.1-BETA2 - it's pretty flaky in 8.0-RELEASE.

Milhouse

Guru
Tx! for the tidbit, appreciated. Do you have any idea when the next release will happen? 8.1 I guess?

The next release will be 8.0.1, that's why it's being tested. There's a third and hopefully final 8.0.1 BETA due, then release. No idea on timings, but 8.0.1 will be here much sooner than 8.1.

Status
Not open for further replies.