Zpool won't import

CODYZRIOT

Cadet
So I'm losing it here. I've been searching these forums for a while and I can't get my pool to import. I'm running a RAIDZ1-0 on 5 6tb red drives with my os on a flashdrive. One of the drives is definitely bad. It's ticking and not being read at all. the other 4 read just fine. I also installed a new 6tb red drive to replace it, but the pool refuses to import despite the other 4 being just fine.

Code:
root@freenas:~ # zpool status
  pool: freenas-boot
 state: ONLINE
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0 days 00:00:40 with 0 errors on Sat Oct 26 03:45:40 2019
config:

NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        freenas-boot  ONLINE       0     0     0
          da5p2     ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors
root@freenas:~ # zpool import
   pool: MediaVolume
     id: 10528861592664651948
  state: UNAVAIL
 action: The pool cannot be imported. Attach the missing
        devices and try again.
   see: http://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-8000-3C
 config:

MediaVolume                                     UNAVAIL  insufficient replicas
          raidz1-0                                      ONLINE
            gptid/845c36d7-f27d-11e7-9e52-842b2b6ac4f3  ONLINE
            gptid/85291971-f27d-11e7-9e52-842b2b6ac4f3  ONLINE
            gptid/86451166-f27d-11e7-9e52-842b2b6ac4f3  ONLINE
          gptid/3991684c-873e-11e9-be39-842b2b6ac4f3    ONLINE
          2072263696031995997                           UNAVAIL  cannot open
root@freenas:~ # zpool import -f MediaVolume
cannot import 'MediaVolume': no such pool or dataset
        Destroy and re-create the pool from
        a backup source.

1kokies

Contributor
it is always good to give more details.............FreeNAS version, hardware, process before this happened (did u offline the bad drive before removing it ?), smart scan results etc.

I may be wrong here buddy but to me that doesn't look like a 5 disk RAIDZ1. It looks like a 3 disk RAIDZ1 and two seperatley striped vdevs meaning that if one is missing (which you have) you cant import the pool.

I've just made a 3 disk Z1 with 2 striped vdevs on a test box I have and it looks like this.

Code:
[root@styx ~]# zpool status                                                                                                    
  scan: none requested                                                                                                        
config:                                                                                                                        

NAME                                            STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM                                            
        MediaVolume                                     ONLINE       0     0     0                                            
          raidz1-0                                      ONLINE       0     0     0                                            
            gptid/b17c6da5-0207-11ea-b014-000743334ce0  ONLINE       0     0     0                                            
            gptid/b3149156-0207-11ea-b014-000743334ce0  ONLINE       0     0     0                                            
            gptid/b497bdfa-0207-11ea-b014-000743334ce0  ONLINE       0     0     0                                            
          gptid/cc656f56-0207-11ea-b014-000743334ce0    ONLINE       0     0     0                                            
          gptid/0d2fac33-0208-11ea-b014-000743334ce0    ONLINE       0     0     0                                            

It's quite misleading to the untrained eye so I can understand why you thought it was a 5 disk Z1. The indent after the first three disks is what gives it away.

I hope I'm wrong but I fear I'm not.

Last edited:

1kokies

Contributor
In comparison this is what a 5 disk Z1 looks like.

Code:
config:                                                                                                                             

gptid/73f74eaa-020a-11ea-b014-000743334ce0  ONLINE       0     0     0                                                 
            gptid/7584c32d-020a-11ea-b014-000743334ce0  ONLINE       0     0     0                                                 
            gptid/771423ca-020a-11ea-b014-000743334ce0  ONLINE       0     0     0                                                 
            gptid/789c4a66-020a-11ea-b014-000743334ce0  ONLINE       0     0     0                                                 
            gptid/7a3d06e1-020a-11ea-b014-000743334ce0  ONLINE       0     0     0                                                 

CODYZRIOT

Cadet
I may be wrong here buddy but to me that doesn't look like a 5 disk RAIDZ1. It looks like a 3 disk RAIDZ1 and two seperatley striped vdevs meaning that if one is missing (which you have) you can't import the pool.

I've just made a 3 disk Z1 with 2 striped vdevs on a test box I have and it looks like this.

Code:
config:                                                                                                                       

gptid/b17c6da5-0207-11ea-b014-000743334ce0  ONLINE       0     0     0                                           
            gptid/b3149156-0207-11ea-b014-000743334ce0  ONLINE       0     0     0                                           
            gptid/b497bdfa-0207-11ea-b014-000743334ce0  ONLINE       0     0     0                                           
          gptid/cc656f56-0207-11ea-b014-000743334ce0    ONLINE       0     0     0                                           
          gptid/0d2fac33-0208-11ea-b014-000743334ce0    ONLINE       0     0     0                                           

It's quite misleading to the untrained eye so I can understand why you thought it was a 5 disk Z1. The indent after the first three disks is what gives it away.

I hope I'm wrong but I fear I'm not.
I was afraid of that. :( It did originally start as a 3disk raidz1-0 then I added 2 drives to it later on, but I guess I didn't do it properly. I wasn't doing anything when this happened, my dad texted me and asked why he couldn't view our plex and then I saw that I had a

CODYZRIOT

Cadet
had a critical alert. and this is what I came to. I was running 9.10 and updated to 11.2 in hopes of any changes, but no luck. I just don't understand why I can't import the pool if I only lost 1 drive. I still have 2 good drives even if it was a 2 disk raid.

CODYZRIOT

Cadet
I'm running this all on a dell power edge 710 that I installed a flashed card in that would allow me to use the front bays and still do a ZFS raid.

blueether

Patron
I was afraid of that. :( It did originally start as a 3disk raidz1-0 then I added 2 drives to it later on, but I guess I didn't do it properly.
had a critical alert. and this is what I came to. I was running 9.10 and updated to 11.2 in hopes of any changes, but no luck. I just don't understand why I can't import the pool if I only lost 1 drive. I still have 2 good drives even if it was a 2 disk raid.
The problem is you didn't extend the raid-z1 from 3 disks to 5 but striped 2 additional disks (single disk vdevs) into the pool. If you lose a whole vdev in a pool you lose the whole pool.

CODYZRIOT

Cadet
The problem is you didn't extend the raid-z1 from 3 disks to 5 but striped 2 additional disks (single disk vdevs) into the pool. If you lose a whole vdev in a pool you lose the whole pool.
Well then.... I guess my ignorance killed it for me... This was my first attempt at this so I guess it's lesson to learn. So without that 1 drive, there's nothing I can do?

blueether

Patron
did you have a back up of critical data? if so re-import that on to a properly created pool.

also I think that raid-z1 is not the best choice in this day and age with large TB disks that take a long time to resilver

CODYZRIOT

Cadet
did you have a back up of critical data? if so re-import that on to a properly created pool.

also I think that raid-z1 is not the best choice in this day and age with large TB disks that take a long time to resilver
Unfortunately I didn't have a back up of the data. It was just movies and TV shows that we ripped, but it's going to take a long time to add those 3000+ movies back. :(

I guess if there's nothing I can do to recover it, I'll have to start over. I'm Might just get a couple of refurbished 10tb drives down the road and use them to back up the data. Only hook them up to back up stuff then put them away in an antistatic bag.

Jessep

Patron
You can't at this time extend a vdev in any way. FreeNAS doesn't work like Synology SHR where you can just add a drive and get more space.

A vdev is a single unit with it's own redundancy (or lack there of). You can stripe vdev's for more IOPS (performance) and more space in the pool. You should match vdev layout, so RaidZ2 vdev with RaidZ2 vdev in the same pool.

This means you REALLY need to plan what you want to accomplish before you start, including your upgrade plans.

I would suggest divide your max drive bays in half (8 bays would be 4) make a RaidZ2 with that many drives, then you can add another matching vdev later. If you have more than 12 bays break them into 6 drive vdevs, so 24 bays would be 4 vdevs of 6 drives.

You can add vdevs of different drive sizes, so a 6x4TB RaidZ2 and 6x8TB RaidZ2. Width and layout matter, not drive size. It is best to get drives with closely matching performance characteristics, if you have a vdev in your pool with older slower drives it will significantly impact overall pool performance.