Zoneminder on a new volume on FreenNAS 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

pintu1228

Explorer
Hi all,

I just wanted to get suggestions on how to best install zoneminder. Currently I have volume called Tank that has all media files, photos, jails on it. I want to install zoneminder but was thinking if it would be better to buy a 2-3TB hard drive strictly for security and create a new volume with it so I can separate it from the 'Tank' volume, then install the zoneminder jail on that volume.

Also regarding zoneminder jail, is there a setting to keep recording for 2 weeks and then delete them automatically with new videos if space was empty on the hard drive?

Is it possible to say backup to crashplan (which is installed on Ubuntu VM on 'Tank') from the new volume for the security? Possibly through NFS??

Thanks

fracai

Guru
Also regarding zoneminder jail, is there a setting to keep recording for 2 weeks and then delete them automatically with new videos if space was empty on the hard drive?
There a few options here.
Recording: You can record constantly or only when motion is detected.
Deleting: You can configure a background task to delete events and recordings based on age or available space.

I currently have mine set up to record on motion and delete events that are older than 30 days (60? I forget).

pintu1228

Explorer
thanks,

do you have any suggestions on installing zoneminder on a new volume like I mentioned above? is this a good idea?

fracai

Guru
I can't think of any security related reasons to use a separate pool. What were your concerns?
Maybe there's a reason to do that to limit disk wear?

pintu1228

Explorer
its not really for security, it's just to separate my media volume from security camera volume and dedicate 3TB drive to it, if that makes sense.

I don't want to install it on my Tank volume because I want that space to be used for movies/tv so I was thinking about making another volume for security only.

fracai

Guru
for any reason that wouldn't be covered by just making a new dataset?

Status
Not open for further replies.