Zfsonlinux native encryption debut

Arwen

MVP
Yes, the ZFS on Linux 0.8.0 released quite a few new features.

Still pending development & initial release are:
  • RAID-Zx column expansion
  • ZSTD compression
  • Additional encryption algorythms, (like ChaCha...)
  • Potentially allowing un-encrypted child datasets & Zvols, of encrypted datasets
  • Linux kernel 5.x optimizations, (lots of stuff in the kernel is now enforcing GPL... or other weirdness)
  • DRAID new vDev type, (integrated & distributed spare, allowing extremely fast sparing)
Even with the official release, the old saying goes, never use 1.0 of any software. So I'd wait til 0.8.1 or 0.8.2 to make sure enough of the serious bugs get fixed, before I'd start using 0.8.x.

I am happy to see that the ZFS on Windows project had been keeping up with the various features. Have not checked recently... but this feature matrix seems to be reasonably up to date;
OpenZFS Feature Matrix

Arwen

MVP
Sadly, the breaking patch has been backported to pretty much all stable Linux branches, so no matter what Kernel you use, if it's up to date, performance is bad.
That performance issue is supposed to be temporary. They are determining if their is a ethical way to use the kernel routines, as they had previously. Or simply clean room re-implement them.

I'm not worried. I figure it will be perhaps 3 months more before a solution is implemented.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Pretty shameful behavior by the Linux kernel team, I must say. It's never nice when the negative stereotypes are so unequivocally proven right.