zfs send/receive and ARC/L2ARC

Status
Not open for further replies.

efinley1272

Cadet
I'm building a system with two backup servers (A and B).
I'll have 10+ hosts pushing datasets to backup A via zfs send.
Backup A will then push all of those datasets to backup B using zfs send.

My question is - will backup A write everything that it receives via zfs receive into the ARC/L2ARC so that the subsequent send to backup B comes from ARC rather than disk reads?

Thanks in advance,
Elliot

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Assuming you have sufficient RAM for the task, and not much else going on, then presumably "yes". Why do you care? (Out of curiosity)

efinley1272

Cadet
Assuming you have sufficient RAM for the task, and not much else going on, then presumably "yes". Why do you care? (Out of curiosity)

I care because backup A is going to be very very busy. The more reads I can serve out of cache the more I can free up the spinning disk to handle writes. Does anyone know the actual answer to this question? "presumably" isn't an answer.

atreadwell

Cadet
this maybe a noob question but, Does zfs populate the arc (and subsequently l2arc if there is one) from written data? or only from read data?

I care because backup A is going to be very very busy. The more reads I can serve out of cache the more I can free up the spinning disk to handle writes. Does anyone know the actual answer to this question? "presumably" isn't an answer.
If you're backing up using zfs send/receive then your performance limitation won't be the spinning disks but the replication stream itself so I would say it doesn't matter.

this maybe a noob question but, Does zfs populate the arc (and subsequently l2arc if there is one) from written data? or only from read data?
Both I think. For example if Im benchmarking a pool I need to write something bigger than the size of the total size of RAM if I want to see disk read performance otherwise it will come straight back from RAM at super speed.

Last edited:

rs225

Guru
I think the answer is "try it and tell us what happens."

The ZFS caching algorithm avoids caching things it thinks are one-time uses. If you copy a 50GB file, it will probably cache very little of it. If you are seeking around in the 50GB file, it will cache what it reads.

Status
Not open for further replies.