ZFS Samba (CIFS) = abysmal performance in FREENAS 8.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProtoSD

MVP
I have a post around here somewhere that explains how to recover from this, but I'd have to search for it. I've been meaning to add it to my blog also and post a video, but.... too many things going on at the moment. Basically it involves choosing option 6 from the FreeBSD boot menu, you have to be quick or it'll try to boot again. It's about bed time here or I'd try and find that post.

Were those screenshots of reading or writing?

Bever

Explorer
OK, my latest config backup is four days old :( Any way to recover my settings before I do a fresh install of my system? Or is there any other way to revert the loader.conf and sysctl settings?

Bever

Explorer
I have a post around here somewhere that explains how to recover from this, but I'd have to search for it. I've been meaning to add it to my blog also and post a video, but.... too many things going on at the moment. Basically it involves choosing option 6 from the FreeBSD boot menu, you have to be quick or it'll try to boot again. It's about bed time here or I'd try and find that post.

Were those screenshots of reading or writing?

Those shots were from writing. Reading seemed to be OK.

Bever

Explorer

ProtoSD

MVP
I think the variable that will help with the writing bursts that you're seeing is "vfs.zfs.txg.write_limit_override=1073741824". This value is for systems with 8GB of RAM. There's probably a couple of others that will help, but see if you can get your system booting again first! ;)

Sorry I can't stay awake longer right now and help you...

Bever

Explorer
The system is up and running man. Thanks a lot and have a good night!

srijit92

Cadet
Abnormal Speed drops on fresh FreeNAS install

Hi.. I'm new to FreeNAS and installed it today only for testing purpose. I ran it in a PC with the following config:

Core 2 Duo 2.8 Ghz
4 GB Ram
500 GB HDD

I don't have a gigabit network though.. I'm facing a strange problem like when i'm uploading any file to NAS, the download speed is fluctuating frequently. Following is the bandwidth graph for a 600 MB file transfer.

Bandwidth test for a 1 GB File transfer

Why there are speed drops at particular interval?

ProtoSD

MVP
It's supposed to be "normal", it has to do with ZFS flushing its cache at regular intervals. There's a sysctl variable that controls it, but it really doesn't stop it, only how often it occurs.

srijit92

Cadet
It's supposed to be "normal", it has to do with ZFS flushing its cache at regular intervals. There's a sysctl variable that controls it, but it really doesn't stop it, only how often it occurs.

Can u please guide me how to change the value so that I will get an optimal performance?

Another thing I discovered today is that, the speed drop happens after 50 MB of file transfers !

sonny81

Contributor
Hi,

I had a problem copying large file (>3GB). Copying wasn't flow and was slow.
It starting at 100MB/s for 15-20sec then drop to 0 for 3 sec and again. Like that:
tplinkf.png

My network is:
1. Giga network using Cat 5e & TP-LINK TL-WR1043ND
2. Desktop Computer - W7, Intel i5-2500 3.3GHz, 8GB RAM, WD Green WD20EARS 2GB 64MB 3GB/s.
3. NAS - FreeNAS-8.2.0-BETA2-x64 (r10638), AMD Liano A6-3500, 8GB RAM, 4X WD Green WD20EARS 2GB 64MB 3GB/s.

After i change Router Firmware, Re-installing FreeNAS and other staff i go the solution of Jeremy Chadwick.

I try to copy article here but i get forum error.strange. (Upload here)

Now my graph is like that:
tplink2.png

I get stable 100MB/s (!)

Good day.

I know this post is a few months old but I am completely lost as to how you put in these values.

Basically I understand the whole concept of putting in these parameters and all but I've yet to find an article or tutorial where it flat out says "go to the Shell, type this in to get this setting, then to get this setting click here, then here, then type in..."

Where am I putting these commands?

Thanks so much!!

ProtoSD

MVP
but I've yet to find an article or tutorial where it flat out says "go to the Shell, type this in to get this setting, then to get this setting click here, then here, then type in..."

Check the documentation: doc.freenas.org/index.php/Main_Page

Where am I putting these commands?

Thanks so much!!

In the GUI, under System -> Tunables

Status
Not open for further replies.