ZFS - Recover overwritten pool

yourmate

Contributor
I know I will be smashed and trashed to bits asking this question but I am a brave idiot ;)

The storage setup consisted of 6 4TB WD Reds (storing data - called "ocean") and two mirrored 240GB SSD (storing jails - called "whirlpool"). A few months ago I bought 3 8TB WD Reds and changed 3 4TB disks over, one by one re-silvering them. All went fine.
The new 8TB WD Reds were running much hotter (13-18 C hotter) than the 4TBs so I switched the system off and investigated. WD said they are good up to 65C but I just wanted to make sure the case has adequate cooling so I made some mods.

Anyway, new FreeNAS came around (11.3 U1) and my Kodi box had write authentication issues I thought why not reinstall from scratch.

After some initial settings, I was ready to import my ZFS pools. Normally, I start by importing ocean first and then whirlpool. But now I thought I will scrap my old jails and start with a brand new pool for the SSD so I started with NEW POOL, named it whirlpool and choose the two SSD. But then I clicked on "recommended setup" to see what I will be offered and got distracted by a phone call. Then click on create and voila whirlpool has been created (literally :( ).
I then moved to import my data and I was offered to import whirlpool...
Then it struck me, that the "recommended setup" choose the 3 new 8TB WD Reds as whirlpool so literally half of my data pool was lost.

The ocean is setup 4+2 so losing two disks is not the end of the world but now I lost three. Nothing was written to the new pool, I simply shut down the system and crawled into the darkest corner to die. As you might already figured, there is no backup of the NAS.

This was two weeks ago, the box just stands there switched off and I slowly coming to terms with myself and the losses.
Guys, is there any way to go back from here?

Edit: I still have 2 of the 4TB WD Reds I replaced if that would help (I reckon it wouldn't, but hey)
Edit2: I would like to ask especially @Ericloewe and @cyberjock to be easy on me :)

Last edited:

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Could you share the output of zpool status -v please? we need to see where it's at.

yourmate

Contributor
Could you share the output of zpool status -v please? we need to see where it's at.

Thanks for the help!

Code:
root@freenas[~]# zpool status -v
  pool: freenas-boot
state: ONLINE
  scan: none requested
config:

NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        freenas-boot  ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror-0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            da0p2   ONLINE       0     0     0
            da1p2   ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

pool: whirlpool
 state: ONLINE
  scan: none requested
config:

NAME                                            STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        whirlpool                                       ONLINE       0     0 0
          raidz1-0                                      ONLINE       0     0 0
            gptid/c6fbf984-5cd3-11ea-bf13-0025907aa820  ONLINE       0     0 0
            gptid/c6ff85b1-5cd3-11ea-bf13-0025907aa820  ONLINE       0     0 0
            gptid/c701d157-5cd3-11ea-bf13-0025907aa820  ONLINE       0     0 0

errors: No known data errors
root@freenas[~]#

Would this help in any way? This only shows the "newly created" whirlpool pool on the three 8TB WDs
Currently, all 6 WDs are connected (previously "ocean", but the two SSDs are disconnected (original whirlpool)

Edit2: upodated - now full output shown

Last edited:

yourmate

Contributor
Here are the connected disks:
disks.PNG

sretalla