ZFS on hardware RAID5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mtux

Cadet
Hi folks,
this is my first post, so first of all thank you all for FreeNas!

Here comes the question: I know that hw raid is deprecated in favour of RAIDZ(2) setups, but... I have a computer with a single sata port that doesn't support port multipliers, nevertheless I would like to attach an external 5 bay enclosure. Since I cannot use jbod (it would not be seen as 5 disk without port moltiplication capabilities) I was thinking of using the RAID5 option provided by the enclosure, in order to have a "single" big drive exposed to the pc. On top of that I would then make a zpool with copies=2 to have also integrity check.
If my reasoning is correct, this way I would be protected against disk failures by the hardware raid controller (and ZFS wouldn't even know that a disk is gone) plus data integrity check from ZFS, is it correct? Would there be any disadvantage?

Thank you,
Marco

performance may be an issue though. you've got 2 competing structures.

do you have a PCIe slot? a 4 port or 8 port controller would be much preferred.

Mtux

Cadet
Unfortunately I don't have any expansion slot available, that would have been perfect.
The fact is that I wanted to modify one of the internal sata port of a 2010 mac mini to have a file server that idles below 10 watts (not counting discs).
Seems that I will have to find another hardware solution...

Thank you,
Marco

Status
Not open for further replies.