ZFS Deduplication

Status
Not open for further replies.

nix

Cadet
Hi Team,

Can I know the, is ZFS dedup is supported with current stable version of FreeNAS?

Thanks,
Nix

no, not until FreeBSD supports zfs version 22, it currently supports version 15. the dev builds of FreeBSD 9.0 support version 28 so hopefully next major release of FreeNAS will.

SoftDux-Rudi

Contributor
Matthew do you know when FreeBSD 9.0 will be released? Or where can I find a Roadmap?

SoftDux-Rudi

Contributor
LOL, let's get 8.1 out the door first please.

Are you referring to FreeBSD 8.1, or FreeNAS 8.1?

FreeBSD 8.2 has been around for a while now already.

Sorry to be so hasty, but dedup is something that many of us would love to see in FreeNAS

Tekkie

Patron
torrin's talking about FreeNAS 8.1 ;)

torrin

torrin's talking about FreeNAS 8.1 ;)

Indeed I am. Once FN8.1 is out, it would be great to look into upgrading ZFS in a future release, but since Oracle purchased Sun, their support of open development seems to be sliding. I would love to see dedup as well (which will help for a commercial application of the FN8), but there are some basics that need to be done first (IMHO).

J

jpaetzel

FreeBSD HEAD and STABLE both have ZFS version 28, which supports dedup. It's unlikely FreeNAS will jump to using FreeBSD 9.0, which is the next FreeBSD release scheduled (for this fall), so there are two choices, wait for 8.3 in Q1 of 2012, or do a FreeNAS release with FreeBSD STABLE as the base. Both of these have drawbacks. There are also some GUI changes that would go along with v28, such as exposing dedup to the volume creator and editor. Additionally, there are features in v28 such as snapshot holds that are desirable for the remote replication feature.

Also, the detachable ZIL feature that happened in v19 makes v28 a lot more desirable than 15.

Of course there's encryption in v30, which Oracle hasn't opensourced yet, and *THAT* would be desirable to have as well.

At any rate, these things will all happen eventually, but the way it's looking right now, my crystal ball says dedup is a Q1 2012 feature in FreeNAS.

G

ghuntley

ZFS v28 is in 8.2-STABLE.

v28 can be patched into 8.2-RELEASE via:
Code:
cd /usr/src
fetch http://people.freebsd.org/~mm/patches/zfs/v28/releng-8.2-zfsv28-20110601.patch.xz
xz -d releng-8.2-zfsv28-20110601.patch.xz 
patch -E -p0 < releng-8.2-zfsv28-20110601.patch 
make buildkernel KERNCONF=GENERIC -j 2
make installkernel KERNCONF=GENERIC
make buildworld -j4
make installworld

There does not appear to be any (logical) reason why FreeNAS should be using v15, would love to hear feedback on this. Hopefully 8.1 or 8.2 will come with v28 - wink wink.

SoftDux-Rudi

Contributor

Code:
cd /usr/src
fetch http://people.freebsd.org/~mm/patches/zfs/v28/releng-8.2-zfsv28-20110601.patch.xz
make buildworld -j4
make installworld
Have you had any issues with it so far?

There does not appear to be any (logical) reason why FreeNAS should be using v15, would love to hear feedback on this. Hopefully 8.1 or 8.2 will come with v28 - wink wink.

I presume the main reason is that when FreeNAS started using ZFS it wasn't in such a great demand, so now they just kept using the old version and slowly started updating it.

BUT, I would also like to see at least ZFS V25 or even 28 in FreeNAS

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi ghuntley & SoftDux-Rudi,

It's even easier than that to get ZFS v28 in FreeBSD 8.2...it got MFC'ed to -Stable back in May or June.

I used a boot disk from here:

http://mfsbsd.vx.sk/

to bring up a couple of ZFS-on-root boxes that are running great.

-Will

SoftDux-Rudi

Contributor
Hi ghuntley & SoftDux-Rudi,

It's even easier than that to get ZFS v28 in FreeBSD 8.2...it got MFC'ed to -Stable back in May or June.

I used a boot disk from here:

http://mfsbsd.vx.sk/

to bring up a couple of ZFS-on-root boxes that are running great.

-Will

It's nice to see it's so easy to get ZFS 28 into FreeBSD, but what about FreeNAS?

stable doesn't mean what you think it means. stable is still a development build.

it's like how creationists use theory as if it's a guess.

I'm actually switching to FreeBSD 8.2-STABLE i'm just waiting for one more paycheck for one more controller card before i complete the switch.

Gnome

Explorer
Are any of the posters in this thread official developers of FreeNAS? (just wondering if we are working with facts, rumours or guesses here).

I see FreeBSD 9.0 includes ZFS v28 out of the box which is due for release soon. Not to mention improved AHCI support.

Apart from that MAYOR bug fixes have been made (Kmem_map too small anyone?), wouldn't it be wiser to make that move just for the benefit of a stable ZFS implementation which might require less tuning?

globus999

Contributor

Code:
cd /usr/src
make buildworld -j4
make installworld

Yeah, sure. Basically, we will get ZFS 28 when hell freezes over.
Why?
Because ZFS is in TrueNAS, the "commercial" iXsystems product, which means, that FreeNAS is just a PR stunt.
Check the page: http://www.ixsystems.com/truenas/

ProtoSD

MVP
It may have been hopeful thinking on my part, but I thought I saw somewhere that they planned to upgrade ZFS to v28 when 8.1 was released.

Gnome

Explorer
I think it is a bit early to say if their intentions are to purposely hold FreeNAS back in support of their product commercial product TrueNAS.

They have been pushing out release quite requently recently and if TrueNAS is simply FreeNAS with ZFS v28 then it isn't really worth the money IMHO.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
So I guess that's the eloquent way to say "thanks for funding FreeNAS development, iXsystems."

Gads.

ProtoSD

MVP
@jgreco, this was the thread I thought I was responding to where you posted about FreeBSD and ZFS v28. You should put that here too in case people miss it because I think it's a good explanation for people to understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.