ZFS ARC metadata size minimum

dcm39

Cadet
I have a large 100s TB ZFS system that is suffering from slow read performance - it has 768GB RAM, but only uses a tiny fraction of that for metadata (<5%).

With ZFS on linux on another very similar system I'm able to double the read performance by increasing the "zfs_arc_meta_min" module parameter. This forces the arc to cache a LOT more metadata (>10x) and the performance boost is huge for our workflow which consists mainly of sequential read.

As far as I can tell there is no "arc_meta_min" tunable on freenas. Is there a similar way force freenas zfs to cache more metadata (11.1-U5)?

mav@

iXsystems
iXsystems
There is vfs.zfs.arc_meta_min loader tunable on FreeNAS. It is not present as sysctl, but should work if you set it as loader tunble in WebUI.

scurrier

Patron
@dcm39 I am having sequential read performance issues on a much smaller system (3x 4tb striped mirrors, 32gb ram) that I suspect arc metadata may play a part. Can you report back on your results of tuning vfs.zfs.arc_meta_min and anything else you might have found? A few sentences would go a long way.

dcm39

Cadet
After a lot of struggling, we eventually gave up and moved the system to CentOS and saw a massive boost in performance. Part of this we attribute to being able to successfully increase the arc_meta_min. Part we attribute to the larger max blocksize for NFS on linux (1M).

scurrier

Patron
Interesting. Thanks for replying.

mav@

iXsystems
iXsystems
Already after 11.2-U5 release there was a fix for ARC MRU/MFU balance, that in some scenatios could lead to very small MFU size and low performance. In comimng soon 11.2-U6 ARC should better adapt to different workloads.

scurrier

Patron
@mav@ is metadata similarly subject to mfu/mfu policies as normal file data is?