You can’t access this shared folder because your organization’s security policies block unauthenticated guest access.

Normdoggy

Cadet
I have did a search on this on the blog and cannot find anything on it. I've googled it and there are a lot of answers but none have worked. This just started right after I updated with the Windows 2020 update. My other two computers have no problem accessing the server. My group policy is correct and I've checked the Registry and it is also go to go. I am quickly running out of ideas.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
This is because of a GPO on your workstation. Look in gpedit.msc, under Local Computer Policy->Administrative Templates->Network->Lanman Workstation, for the Enable insecure guest logons policy. If this is explicitly Disabled, then you'll get the message above.

murzik

Dabbler
This is because of a GPO on your workstation. Look in gpedit.msc, under Local Computer Policy->Administrative Templates->Network->Lanman Workstation, for the Enable insecure guest logons policy. If this is explicitly Disabled, then you'll get the message above.
that does not work after windows 10 - 2004 update. You can try changing directly in registry, but that did not work form me either.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
You could also just use a named user and turn off unauthenticated guest access on the share.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
You could also just use a named user and turn off unauthenticated guest access on the share.
At the end of the day this is probably the correct answer. Microsoft is probably moving to deprecate this method of accessing SMB shares, and with good reason. MacOS also will prevent access to a guest share unless the user has explicitly selected that they want a guest session. Overall, the benefit of this "feature" is quickly disappearing.

entity279

Cadet
I've rolled back away from 2004. Easier. It's shouldn't be up to microsoft to change the way I use my home network

cooldeepak

Cadet
Well figured it out. gpedit wasn't updating the reg key is seems.

Here is what I changed:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters] "AllowInsecureGuestAuth"=dword:1

Normdoggy

Cadet
Just got back home from a trip and tried the fix from cooldeepak and it worked instantly. Many thanks unknown friend.

notoreus

Cadet
I had one machine that was able to access the others in the work group. When I updated to Release 2004 I lost this ability. The above GPO and Registry settings were already there and in place but still not working. Other PC's I haven't updated are still working. As soon as I rolled back the patch it works again. Seems like a bug right now. I could try creating the same user accounts on the host PC in the work group and map the drive that way but didn't to date.