Yessirree bob I'm an AMD fan..

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/10/18660213/amd-ryzen-9-3950x-16-core-gaming-cpu-processor-e3-2019

"Perhaps most impressively, none of these new Ryzen processors — not even the 16-core — require a new size and shape of chip. They’ll all fit into almost any existing AM4 motherboard, thanks to AMD’s painstaking work designing a 12-layer substrate to route each of the new, smaller 7nm process circuits to the existing AM4 pins that go into the socket on your board.
amd_ryzen_3000_layer_substrate_routing.jpg

One of the routing layers devised to maintain AM4 compatibility

And AMD says it plans to keep offering that kind of backward compatibility through 2020 and for the foreseeable future, instead of making you buy a new board alongside your next CPU upgrade. “It will really take a major inflection point in the platform technology for us to move off of socket AM4,” says AMD’s David McAfee, adding that it would probably take a major change in how memory or PCI expansion slots work before AMD needs to move to a new socket. AMD’s new X570 platform already supports PCIe 4.0, so that’s one potential bullet dodged."

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
It does surprise me a bit that AMD hasn't jumped on board the planned obsolescence train like most other tech manufacturers.

AMD's marketing department is probably looking at Intel and thinking "hmmm what have they been doing that have been ticking people off for years and lets try not to do it too...." the Ryzen 3000 series is looking interesting to me, would like to grab one and use my 1800x in that MB that came up in conversation here a while back to set up another server.

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
AMD's marketing department is probably looking at Intel and thinking "hmmm what have they been doing that have been ticking people off for years and lets try not to do it too...." the Ryzen 3000 series is looking interesting to me, would like to grab one and use my 1800x in that MB that came up in conversation here a while back to set up another server.

When I was looking into building my own personal box, the Phenom chips looked good to me, but then I also noticed that AMD stayed with the same socket for much longer periods. This was one of the biggest factors, if not the deciding factor for me. If they choose to embrace slow obsolescence even more vigorously, so much the better for the company, they can only gain fans/users this way.

In the early days (possibly pre-dating Phenom, I haven't checked), Intel had one socket that was only viable for like 6 months which is a worst case, but generally Intel has been much more willing to force their users to buy a new mobo far more frequently. Other missteps by Intel, whether it was the very bad overheating of one chip/series, math flaw in another, or various security issues due to microcode choices, or something else, they may have been the chip leader but I don't tend to choose what is fashionable or popular.. if I did, I'd also be using another OS as well.

Arwen

MVP
One neat thing AMD can do, is when the Ryzen series from 2021 come out, if it make sense for a new socket, (like DDR-5 memory support), is make one series using the new socket, (AM5?). But, make another similar series, using the old AM4 socket. Make it clear you can't get top performance from AM4 socket. But, it gives AM4 system board owners incentive to upgrade just the CPU, (not the system board), to get most of the improvements, (higher clock; lower power; optimized cores or threads; etc...). This may help keep customers, and prevent them from jumping over to Intel.

That said, I am so over 16 bit or 32 bit backward compatibility. In someways I wish AMD would come out with a processor that dropped all that old crap Intel fostered on us. I wonder how much space that backward compatibility takes up? (Probably not much, after all, running a 16 bit program at even just 2Ghz makes it fly to the moon.) Then if required, Unixes like Linux or FreeBSD could have a software emulator for the rare times they were required.

Isn't there a newer faster than DDR5 memory tech they had on some video cards, something starting with an H? If they moved that to system memory that would justify the new socket and if the thought is 2021 that is a pretty respectable run for the AM4 socket. Ditching 16 and 32 bit backward compatibility would be daring and scare a number of users, I for one would need an emulator so I can play Warzone2100 :)
Actually I think Mac was warning users MacOS was going to go full 64Bit in the not TOO distant furture...

oh September, where art thou

spotcatbug

Dabbler
As an Intel user currently looking to upgrade from an older i5, without having to replace my MOBO, this makes me think. I hate the part of the CPU-buying experience where you have to match your chipset. I mean, yeah, you still have to do that, but at least AMD is acknowledging the fact and trying to make your ability to buy a new CPU a few years down the road less onerous.

Once I select my CPU/MOBO, I purge that useless information from my brain. I have no desire to become (much less remain) a chipset architecture geek. So every time I want to upgrade, I have to re-learn a bunch of stuff that I don't really care about; including the stuff I "knew" the last time I purchased so that I know what I currently have. Because you have to know what you have in order to get something that works with it. I can't even tell you right now what I have in this PC except I know the CPU is some sort of core i5. It has been a few years. The day after I bought it, I could probably have told you what it was, but definitely not now.

Actually, it's the same with my FreeNAS box. I've come to this forum more than a few times just to look at my signature to "remember" which CPU or MOBO I bought.

I have been thankful for AMD maintaining their sockets for as long as they have, kept my previous desktop relevant until the MB gave up the ghost. Actually maybe I'll put that 1100T back into service.....

Actually, it's the same with my FreeNAS box. I've come to this forum more than a few times just to look at my signature to "remember" which CPU or MOBO I bought.

You are not alone there, I've done it more times than I will admit to lol