X99 recycling for FreeNas system

Morrian

Dabbler
Hello Everyone!

Im new to the NAS world and i just have some questions. I read some of the helping threads already but im still a bit unsafe of what i wanna do^^
ATm i have a "WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra NAS" with 2x4TB wd red in it. Got it "cheap". Its ok, but i wanna build something else.

I still have my old x99 System.
CPU: 5930K
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V Extreme.

My idea is following:
get a case. Build something or so.
buy 16 gigs of ram. 4*4 or so for quadchannel speed.
buy a powersupply. 400Watt or so. Must have enough sata connections.

Running wihtout a GPU, because i dont need one in the NAS(Freenas GUI) Just for installing FreeNas a spare gpu in it.
Buy 2 more of the same HDD plates for a nice Raid 10. 4 disks for the start. I dont need so much space. Upgrade it later on, in 5 years or so. Board supports 8 sata 6Gbs ports and two more. So 10 ports easy.

What do you think about the base idea? The nas is just for my and my familie for additional backups and for me its a file server for my "collection".

Any thoughts and ideas are welcome :)

Hope im not to noobish

sabi-tech

Dabbler
Sounds good to me, Possibly a little overkill if you are not running any VMs / Jails etc. but if you have the kit it's worth it :)
I do have a spare x99 system myself but didnt want to use it based on the electricity power requirements (i'm looking for minimal power use).

Morrian

Dabbler
yeah it needs a bit more power, but i "have" to life with it, because i wanna play around with my old stuff.
Maybe 100Watt of powerconsumption.

Tonight i will do a tstrun with the system. use some old hdds i have, use my ram that is in my PC right now, put the amd wrathcooler on the cpu und look what will happen

sabi-tech

Dabbler
I dont think the wraith will fit on the x99 board. it's a different fitment (although i could be wrong?)

Morrian

Dabbler
Wont fit. just for testing putting the cooler on the cpu, so it wont overheat. testing if it works like i want and than upgrade it the raud 10, proper cooler and a case

Morrian

Dabbler
A bit more digging into a powersaving nas^^
Ryzen 3 2200G
ASRock B450 Pro4 AMD
16GB G.Skill Aegis DDR4-2400
with the same hdds above. would be more expensive, but more powerefficent

dont know^^

sabi-tech

Dabbler
my current system is below:
Asus H81-i PLUS
Intel i5 4590T
Noctua NH-L9i
2x 8gb 2133 Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3
1x 256 SSD in external USB3 enclosure (to be changed for NVME on PCIE card)
4x 3TB Wd Red HDD
3D-Printed HDD Brackets
EVGA Supernova 1000w G3
Kolink Satellite Plus Case

no complaints here. even this runs underutilised for my needs (backup and streaming to Raspberry PI)

melloa

Wizard
Nothing against desktop hardware running NAS, as long as you understand the risks. I did that for several years, but had a second box with a weekly back-up, as my data is only movies and workstations' back-ups.

Just price the list of hardware you want to buy to build your box and compare with an old server. My experience is that the cost difference in US is not too much, but you are not here ...

Morrian

Dabbler
that project is more or less a DIY thing. Sure i could buy a server rack, but where is the fun xD

It must be safe, fast and MAYBE use little watt

Morrian

Dabbler

Fredda

Guru
i could buy a used "Dell PowerEdge R510 Server 2x L5640 Six-Core 2.26 GHz 16GB RAM without HDD 3.5" 8 Bay H700"
but there is no software. could i smack Freenas on it?
The PERC H700 controller card is not the best option for FreeNAS, as it prefers HBA controllers with direct access to the HDs.
But apart from that the server should work.

Morrian

Dabbler
I used my x99 system. everything works. BUT i can boot without a GPU. So this option dies.

Fredda can you recommend a server rig that will play well with FREENAS, has 6+Bays and is efficient?

Hopefully i can get one from ebay in germany^^

Somehow i could live with only plugging in the HDDs

Fredda

Guru
Fredda can you recommend a server rig that will play well with FREENAS, has 6+Bays and is efficient?
Hard to recommend something specific. That offer on Ebay is quite good. Perhaps it's possible to replace that card with a LSI2008 or LSI3008 based card like the perc H310. You may want to look at this thread.

Morrian

Dabbler
Looked at it. The problem with the server bay rigs: need way to much power for 24/7. Wanna stay under 30Watt.
Playes a bit around and thought i could build somthing like this:

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• unknown.png
    unknown.png
    121.1 KB · Views: 240

sabi-tech

Dabbler
Let me know if you thinking of shifting the motherboard. i could find a use for it ;-)