X540 Intel NIC "No carrier" a few minutes after reboot

Middge

Dabbler
Hey all,

I am coming back to FreeNAS after a long time away and I'm having an issue. I bought a dual port 10G NIC (x540) and FreeNAS seems to be having issues with it.

I get a link light for only the first 3-5 minutes after FreeNAS comes back online after a reboot, and during that time I get full network connectivity. I'm even able to send data over the link. Unfortunately it stops working like clock work after those few minutes and I lose all link activity. Interface shows "no carrier".

I've tried using that exact same cable and port on my ESX host and it works perfectly for as long as I want. No issues at all, so I know its not the cable or switch port.

Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction here to begin troubleshooting?

EDIT: btw I'm using FreeNAS-11.2-U7

Middge

Dabbler
UPDATE:

I did some research and apparently the NIC I bought on Amazon is a knock-off. Not real Intel hardware and it was overheating and shutting down the ports.

I confirmed this by comparing some pictures with others people had online. Additionally I placed a high powered fan directly on the NIC (just to test if it was in fact overheating) and that did it. Of course I will be sending the garbage back.

Please learn from my mistakes and DO NOT BUY this off Amazon. Sorry to have wasted your time.

10g.PNG