Writing TO CDs/DVDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

mimustafa

Cadet
I was wondering because I can't seem to find out how.

I'm trying to set up a cron job that would write to a DVD drive every time it executes. The idea is to recycle old data, things that need to be archived, but we KNOW will not be used except in exceptional circumstances (we're looking at a radiographic image vault here).

Wodim doesn't exist. How would I install that from ports on FreeNAS? Or is there something else I can use?

For that matter, is ruby installed? (it just crossed my mind and FreeNAS is at work, whilst as I type this I'm at home)

This is an open question for both FreeNAS 7 & 8 since we have yet to make the decision to install either.

TIA

Al562

Dabbler
Hi Mimustafa,

To the best of my knowledge neither FreeNAS 8 or 0.7 have CD/DVD writing software natively installed. You would have to install this on your own from FreeBSD ports. Then you would have to script/configure cron to find your files and do the writing.

Regards,
Al

mimustafa

Cadet
I thought as much.

I guess I'll have to pull ruby and wodim through ports.

One question though, since to my recollection the ports tree is not available on a fresh install of FreeNAS. How on earth am I supposed to drag them from the ftp sites?

Status
Not open for further replies.