Writing a plugin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archaniel

Explorer
Can please somebody point me to some kind of documentation on how to write my own plugin for FreeNAS? Would like to make an rtorrent plugin (as I prefer rtorrent over transmission). But cannot find any up-to-date guide for it :/ Any hints please?

Nick2253

Wizard
Writing a plugin is not easy. @Joshua Parker Ruehlig is one of the few to do it. If all you are trying to do is get rtorrent working, the easiest thing is to just create a new jail, and install rtorrent there. Look for any guide on installing rtorrent in FreeBSD, and follow that in the jail (for more information on working with jails, check out the FreeNAS or FreeBSD documentation).

Other than that, FreeNAS 10 is going to do away with plugins, so there's not much of a reason to develop a new plugin at this point in time. FreeNAS 10 is going to support docker containers. FreeNAS 9.10 has the necessary under-the-hood support to do what FreeNAS 10 will, but does not yet have a GUI feature for working with Docker containers. If you are so inclined, you could get an rtorrent container working with a little tinkering. There are some posts in the FreeNAS 10 development section that talk more about that feature, and some others around here have done just that in FreeNAS 9.10.

Archaniel

Explorer
Well I've done my jail for Midnight Commander atm to move some stuff around, it installed FreeBSD 10 (which I understood) and there I installed mc - worked ok. But I would like to create a simple plugin, which can be then reused by other users. I mean ... transmission is OK, but rutorrent is imho a tiny bit tidier.
But I'll try to think over to do it for FreeNAS 10. Thanks for pointing me to the right direction :)

m0nkey_

MVP
You'd be better off writing a how-to guide for others and post it in the how-to forum. This is exactly what I've done in the past with regards to Asterisk, SFTP using ProFTPd and Windows Shares.

Status
Not open for further replies.