Write caching

I have freshly built freenass server with 12x10TB array WB Gold drives, running on EPYC CPU, 128GB ram. With 40Gbs networking link for storage access.

Raid configuration is raidz-3. Read performance is where it is expected to be and writes are where they are expected - pretty low around 280Mbps

I want to boost write performance, as much as possible, and typical solution is to add non volatile fast caching drive to hold the data until it is written to disk
I have quad nvme pcie card with 4x512 Samsung 970pro nvme drives, I can create raid 10 disk and use it as write cache.

I had this running well in Qnap, how complex will it be with Freenass?

Hi @propersystems welcome to the forums.

I want to boost write performance, as much as possible, and typical solution is to add non volatile fast caching drive to hold the data until it is written to disk
I assume you're talking about adding a SLOG device to your pool. If you are, it is worth nothing that a SLOG device is not a write cache. ZFS has what is called the ZIL or ZFS Intent Log. It stores transaction groups that have not yet been fully committed to the pool. In normal operation the data on the ZIL is ignored because the system eventually writes the data to the pool and the ZIL's data is not required. In the event of an untimely power outage or other interruption ZFS will check the ZIL for any outstanding data and write it to your pool to prevent data loss.

For async writes your system will report back to the client that the write has been successful when the data is in memory, meaning a power loss could cause it to be lost since it has not yet been written to any permanent storage. For sync writes however your system will not report that a write has been completed until it has made it to permanent storage, in this case the ZIL. You can see then that writes will be very slow for sync writes to a pool composed of spinning rust where the ZIL lives in the pool. To help alleviate this issue you can add a SLOG device, which is a dedicated ZIL device for a pool. If your SLOG device is super fast and has power loss protection it can serve the data integrity purpose of the ZIL and help improve your sync write performance. It will not improve your async write performance for the reasons mentioned previously.

There are posts abound about the ZIL and SLOG, what they are, ideal devices, etc that are more in depth and technically correct than my short summary above.

I have quad nvme pcie card with 4x512 Samsung 970pro nvme drives
These would not be good SLOG devices. They do not have Power Loss Protection and so they defeat the whole purpose of the ZIL/SLOG which is to protect your data in the event of a power loss. If you're considering using these as your ZIL you could get better performance with the same data integrity by forcing all writes to be async writes.

I can create raid 10 disk and use it as write cache.
Just a bit of a nit but FreeNAS uses ZFS which doesn't have Raid10. ZFS has pools which are composed of vdevs which are composed of disks. vdevs are where the redundancy lives and they can be either single-disk, mirrored disks, RAIDZ1, RAIDZ2 or RAIDZ3 vdevs which tolerate zero, n-1, 1, 2, and 3 drive failures respectively before the vdev is lost. If you lost a vdev in a pool you lost the pool so redundancy at the vdev level really matters. The RAID10 analogue in zfs would be a pool composed of two vdevs each of which are built of 2 mirrored drives. The terminology can matter a lot when folks say "RAID1" when they really mean mirrored vdev.

I had this running well in Qnap, how complex will it be with Freenass?
Adding SLOG devices in FreeNAS is very simple once you pick appropriate devices. The User Guide should be helpful in that regard.

Anyway, I hope this helps. I am at work so I couldn't dig up links to the various helpful threads on these topics but if you search for the zfs terminology primer and the zil and slog explained you'll find some great resources out there. Happy to answer any questions or to be corrected if I've made a mistake above.

Thank you for quick reply.

I will have to review info you posted to get better understanding of freenass specifics in this area.

Its puzzling to me why data can not be written to nvme storage first and then moved to disk array at a later time.
Nvme array can take it in at 3Gbs validate it and then move it to disk pool in the background.

I guess this is more of buffer drive than cache drive, although files could remain on the nvme for some time and requested if needed.
Mirror protected nvme should be safe from failure

I did not know ZFS does not support raid 10,

Its puzzling to me why data can not be written to nvme storage first and then moved to disk array at a later time.
Nvme array can take it in at 3Gbs validate it and then move it to disk pool in the background.
Sorry, I may have done a poor job of explaining. When you use an nvme device as a SLOG the data is first written to the nvme device prior to being written to the pool. However, if your nvme device does not have power loss protection (PLP) you're leaving yourself vulnerable to data loss and defeating the purpose of the SLOG and ZIL. So, I'm not saying don't use an nvme device, I'm recommending you use one with PLP.

I guess this is more of buffer drive than cache drive, although files could remain on the nvme for some time and requested if needed.
Mirror protected nvme should be safe from failure
It isn't really just a buffer either. In fact, as far as I know the ZIL is not read from in normal circumstances. For sync writes the system just writes transactions to the ZIL first while the system prepares to write data to the pool. Only if power is lost does the system read the ZIL and ask "what data didn't get committed to the pool before power was lost?" and then writes that data to the pool. A SLOG just means a separate ZFS log device, so using a fast nvme drive instead of the spinning rust in your pool.

I did not know ZFS does not support raid 10
ZFS does support a raid 10 analogue. In ZFS if you wanted something like raid10 you would create a pool made of two vdevs and both of those vdevs would be mirrored vdevs composed of 2 disks. It really is important to keep in mind that pools are made of 1 or more vdevs striped together, vdevs are made of 1 or more disks. A pool is lost if a single vdev within the pool is lost. A vdev is lost if more drives within that vdev are lost than the vdev layout can handle. The vdev layouts are single-disk, mirror vdevs of n disks, raidz1, raidz2, raidz3. These vdevs types can tolerate 0, n-2, 1, 2, or 3 disks lost respectively.

Check out this primer, this description of vdevs, ZILs, SLOG, etc, and this nice terminology primer.

Of course, everything I'm saying is only relevant if what you're referring to originally was in fact a SLOG device. :)

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I want to boost write performance, as much as possible
Your pool configuration is not conducive to meeting this goal. A better understanding of your workload might help others in determining a better pool layout.

and typical solution is to add non volatile fast caching drive to hold the data until it is written to disk
In non ZFS systems, yes this can be accomplished this way. ZFS uses RAM as it's cache and holds data there until it is written.

Let me clarify, from what i understand ZFS has two ways it can write data.
First method involves receiving data from the application that wants it written then sending the request to write it and on completion validating data has been written, only then application it told that write has been completed.
Second method is one way dump without integrity check, this speeds up the process because validation is not performed at least immediately but there is higher chance of data corruption

In both situation when write commands are executed they are logged in a file which allows the engine to "recreate" sequence of events at later time and reconstruct the data it may find missing or corrupt.

My understanding is that "buffering" in this case is giving high-speed battery protected storage for writing this log file which will store write commands much faster than main disk pool. These commands will then be read from the log to write the data. Obviously validation on the pool can not happen until data is written to the drives so there is higher chance for corruption in this case and relying on this method absolutely requires battery protected storage, which makes sense as power loss can lead to comands in ram not being written to log file and application being unaware.

It seems to me that battery protected log storage is in general a good idea.

The implementation i was looking for is different. My view of buffer/cache drive is to take in incoming data rapidly and store it, then move it to the main pool later.
This would mean the application makes write request and data is written and validated on the buffer drive, application is told that write is complete. We would now have file on the buffer drive as well as log data to reconstruct it.
Until copy is made to the main pool, buffer will host the file, once copy to main pool is made, space on the buffer can be reclaimed.
This would give nvme write speeds, given that buffer is sized properly and does not get saturated, and also maintain data integrity
This configuration is obviously my view of how I would love for buffer in freenass to work.

I think I will need to run separate nvme pool for things that need speed.

Your pool configuration is not conducive to meeting this goal. A better understanding of your workload might help others in determining a better pool layout.

In non ZFS systems, yes this can be accomplished this way. ZFS uses RAM as it's cache and holds data there until it is written.

Yes I agree, drive configuration is not optimal. However write buffering was my primary goal when I asked for advice on this.

I just started testing this server, and main pool does not need to be incredibly fast but I do want bit higher write speed on the pool itself
What would you recommendation be? Segmenting it down?

I also read that ZFS uses ram for caching, to me that would mean "apparent" write speeds should be high, as data is dumped in to ram. This server has 128Gigs and I tried putting in 512Gis and makes no difference in speed of writes.

Workload is mixed, it will host storage for systems to produce allot of small files for AI training, backups for some systems and VMs, and run few low impact VMs.
Reads will involve pulling data for AI training pipelines

kdragon75

Wizard
You all making good points but ZFS will always try to slow your effective write speed to your max sustainable steaming write speed. This is to prevent thrashing. A condition that can cause erratic and unpredictable performance.

kdragon75

Wizard
The best thing you can do for performance is to reconfigure the pool as two raidz2 vdevs of 6 disks each. You will lose one disk of capacity but double your write speed.

sretalla