SOLVED Write Cache for FreeNAS?

Theapplefuture

Dabbler
Hello everybody,

Background: I just found an old external hard drive of mine with a lots of phots and videos, etc. which I want to copy on my FreeNAS Server. The Server and my PC have a one gigabit ethernet connection and when I transfer movies I use the full bandwidth (120 MB/s) but when I copy photos I only get 400 kb/s...

This brings me to my question.. Is there a possibility to use an additional SSD for Cache to get higher writing speed or is it pointless to do so because speed won't go any higher than that?

I tried to read myself into L2ARC, ZIL, etc. but didn't get it the way I hoped to...

Thanks for your help

D

dlavigne

Did you find a solution for this? If not, what is the full output of ifconfig (within code tags)?

Arubial1229

Dabbler
How large are the photos on average? Transferring small files over a network will always be slow because it constantly has to read and write. Transferring very large files will saturate the network link and have very good speeds.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
This is probably not a write cache problem, or large files would transfer more slowly than photos. There are lots of things it could be, starting with a USB drive with slow track-to-track access. Large files are mostly sequential, batches of small files involve more head movement. It could also depend on the filesystem on that drive, the operating system being used on the computer copying to FreeNAS, the pool layout and sharing setup on FreeNAS, and other things.