Would LACP benefit me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris230291

Patron
Hello. I saw this video about LAGG and it caught my interest. If my home network is 1 Gigabit, is there any point in setting this up with 2 x 1 Gigabit NIC's? Will i see a performance increase or will the rest of my network (1 Gigabit) bottleneck it? Or will it just operate at 1 Gigabit, but be able to handle double the traffic?

Could someone please clear this up?
Chris.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
You probably don't have an Ethernet switch capable of link aggregation, so at that point it's a nonstarter. If you do, link agg has a bunch of caveats, but if you have several clients simultaneously accessing and your fileserver is capable of pushing more than a gigabit of traffic, then, yes, it could be useful.

Chris230291

Patron
OK thanks mate that makes sense.
So any devices i want to be 2 Gigabit will require 2 x 1 Gigabit NIC's and 2 cable runs?

Im going to be buying a new switch and will make sure it supports it then :)

1 more question just to make sure : using LACP with MY setup means 2 computers on my network can EACH transfer data at Gigabit speeds at the same time to my server?

Thanks.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
OK thanks mate that makes sense.
So any devices i want to be 2 Gigabit will require 2 x 1 Gigabit NIC's and 2 cable runs?

Im going to be buying a new switch and will make sure it supports it then :)

1 more question just to make sure : using LACP with MY setup means 2 computers on my network can EACH transfer data at Gigabit speeds at the same time to my server?

Thanks.

No, it is more complex. This has been discussed before but I'm not going to go hunting on a smartphone. It is only likely to be useful at the server, and you need to understand that any given flow is mapped to a single connection, and it isn't designed to guarantee maximum throughput for a small number of hosts.

Status
Not open for further replies.