Workaround/Semi-Fix for Mountroot Issues with 9.3!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ppmax

Contributor
Argh. Asrock E350m1....can't boot from usb. Tried the workaround...any other tips to get this rig going again?

Thx
PP

radian23

Dabbler
Motherboard: X10SLH-F with Bios 2.0
CPU: Intel I3-4350
Ram: Samsung 8GB DDR3-1600 MHz PC3-12800 240-pin ECC Server Memory - M391B1G73QH0-YK0
USB: SanDisk Ultra Fit 32GB USB Flash Drive Model SDCZ43-032G-G46
ISO: FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201502271818

I entered the line as suggested and it does not seem to work. The system does not pause for 50 seconds as expected. I hope this video helps:

Tried using the USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 ports also tried disabling XMLI

Edit:

Tried to install to a USB 2.0 Drive and everything is working properly. I can put this on the internal USB 3.0 port and it boots just fine with default bios settings. Looks to be an issue with the USB drive being a USB 3.0.

Last edited:

Gizmo

Cadet
HP ProLiant MicroServer
USB: Transcend 8GB
FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201502271818.GUI_Upgrade.txz

Upgrade from 9.2.x to 9.3. Reboot worked fine. Then, updated ZFS Pools. After reboot error occurd and didn't resolve.

Proposed solution had no effect for me. Results always in mountroot prompt. Do I eventually suffer another error?

Attachments

• freenas_bug.JPG
    freenas_bug.JPG
    181.2 KB · Views: 925

ppmax

Contributor
This is a real head scratcher....I just booted from USB using the current FreeNAS install ISO. Is this expected behavior (being able to boot via USB) with this issue? Just to be clear, I didn't change any boot_delay values when booting from a USB with the ISO...it boots fine.

Like Gizmo above, this system was also upgraded from 9.2.x to 9.3 successfully...and I believe I also upgraded the ZFS pools on my media disks.

I tried a few tests:
  • I used dd to copy the "old" data from my recently upgraded USB drive to another "known good" USB stick (8GB). No issues copying the data.
  • I then tried booting from the new USB stick...and encountered this error: "corrupt or invalid gpt detected" which produced the mountroot problem.
  • I then tried booting from another USB with the current FreeNAS ISO...and then tried the upgrade option and selected the "old" drive...but the installer doesn't recognize that there was a previous version of FreeNAS on that drive. WTF.

So...my next test is to just do a fresh install and cross fingers...Is there a way to recover the FreeNAS settings from my "old" bootable USB prior to reinstalling the current release of FreeNAS?

Before I upgraded from 9.2.x to 9.3 I used the GUI to create a backup of my settings...but that was over 2 months ago and I tossed that file after the upgrade to 9.3 because everything appeared to be working correctly. This issue just popped out of nowhere for me...it seemed I had a perfectly well functioning 9.3 install which all of a sudden won't boot anymore.

thx--
PP

ppmax

Contributor
Fresh install...no problems booting. This makes no sense...

Gizmo

Cadet
I just reinstalled 9.3 from Scratch on another USB-Stick, imported backed-up settings and it works now as expected. Maybe it didn't like the old stick anymore or it was broken. Who knows....

radian23

Dabbler
Tried to install to a USB 2.0 Drive and everything is working properly. I can put this on the internal USB 3.0 port and it boots just fine with default bios settings. Looks to be only an issue when I use my USB 3.0 drive.

ppmax

Contributor

Whattteva

Wizard
I just booted 9.3 fresh with a SanDisk Cruzer Fit stick with no issues.
I'm running 5018D-MF (X10SLL-F).

radian23

Dabbler
I just booted 9.3 fresh with a SanDisk Cruzer Fit stick with no issues.
I'm running 5018D-MF (X10SLL-F).

The Cruzer fit is a USB 2.0 device. The issue we are having is with USB 3.0 devices.

Charles Hurst

Dabbler
Hey all,

Guessing this is still active as the last update was today.

I've had this issue now with two USB sticks, haven't tried upping the timer as I read it was built in to the latest version but I guess pushing it up 500 seconds couldn't hurt. I have tried disabling USB3 and some other bits I found from google.

The two model USB sticks I have are:

Kingston Technology DataTraveler 101 Generation 2 16GB
Some old PQI 16GB I had lying around

My motherboard is obviously not on the recommended hardware list hence why I cannot exactly complain :), its some ASUS AM3 board that was my old PC before I upgraded.

Out of interest when the mountroot error occurs is the information directly above the error the problem? For example on my machine when it fails it has error 19 (regarding the USB not mounting) as the line above the failure messages but further up it has an integrity check error regarding one of my hard drives so I'm unsure if that is related?

Happy to test anything on this machine as it is still in this broken state so if you want anything testing just let me know!

Thanks

Gilley7997

Dabbler
Thanks. I have one in my cart. Just to wait and see what @bradl001 used. I'm going to guess the same thing.
Did you have any luck with your test. I have been playing with these exact same drives and am having the issue as described. I documented this in my post on my build and then found this thread.

The timeout setting does nothing for me on these drives to correct the issue. Motherboard is an X10SL7-F with the USB Drives you were going to test out. Just curious what you found.

Also I have tested this in both the USB3.0 and USB 2.0 ports on the motherboard and multiple ports at that.

This is my post on my testing:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...a-few-clarifications.27870/page-2#post-184109

Charles Hurst

Dabbler
Right so just got home and before trying the delay setting I tinkered around in the BIOS (I've already disabled USB3) but thought I would double check there was no more settings of this nature.

I found something that was worth a go so Enabled it from Auto and VOLLA! It booted to the install screen.

Settings in the screenshots below:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thanks!

Whattteva

Wizard
The Cruzer fit is a USB 2.0 device. The issue we are having is with USB 3.0 devices.
Ah I see, I didn't notice. I only read the first opening post and it didn't mention anything about 3.0, just the USB bus in general and FreeNAS 9.3.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Yes, this is well known. "LEGACY USB SUPPORT" ***MUST BE ENABLED IN THE BIOS*** for any motherboard.

rogerh

Guru
Yes, this is well known. "LEGACY USB SUPPORT" ***MUST BE ENABLED IN THE BIOS*** for any motherboard.

But shouldn't 'Auto' be sufficiently enabling? And I thought this was more to do with USB keyboards working than with booting from USB. But there doesn't seem any obvious downside to trying 'enabled' instead of 'auto'.

Charles Hurst

Dabbler
But shouldn't 'Auto' be sufficiently enabling? And I thought this was more to do with USB keyboards working than with booting from USB. But there doesn't seem any obvious downside to trying 'enabled' instead of 'auto'.

Yeah to be honest I set it to Enable then walked away to get this page up for the instructions thinking that'll never work (because it was on Auto) and when I turned around it booted.

I know DrKK stated this is well known but I googled and searched in the forums and everything to find why USB was not booting and never once came across these steps so hopefully it might help some others!

cyberjock

Inactive Account

Maybe. Maybe not.

What does "auto" mean to Supermicro? How about to AsRock? How about to Asus? How about to Gigabyte? What if each manufacturer defines 'auto' differently? ;)

I can bet they don't all mean the same either.

rogerh

Guru
Maybe. Maybe not.

What does "auto" mean to Supermicro? How about to AsRock? How about to Asus? How about to Gigabyte? What if each manufacturer defines 'auto' differently? ;)

I can bet they don't all mean the same either.

Quite so: if I had USB booting problems I think I would try all three settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.