Hi
I am new to FreeNAS.
I have set up an old HP ML110G5 server with 3 disks
ada0 120G SSD SATA
ada1 1000G SATA
ada2 1000G SATA

FreeNAS 11.2-U2.1 installed fine on ada0
I get error when trying to add pool on ada1 and ada2

Command '('gpart', 'create', '-s', 'gpt', '/dev/ada1')' returned non-zero exit status 1.

I have tried dd and gmirror destroy commands but I get an error all the time

1552005510632.png

The two 1TB disk came from an Openmediavault nas installation and before that a QNAP box.

How do I wipe the disks so I can add a POOL to FreeNAS ?????

What brand of disk?

kaastrup

Dabbler
They are the same brand new Toshiba P300. Its only one of them that has the problem

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Something like gpart destroy -F ada1 doesn't work?

Have you tried a low level HDD diagnostic tool that will work on the Toshiba disks something equivalent to Seagate SeaTools or WD Data Lifeguard? I'm not sure if Toshiba provides something of their own.

kaastrup

Dabbler
I have now connected both disk to a win10 pc and used Toshibas own disk tool to both scan and wipe (zero) out the disk - they work fine in windows and I can format them here as I please...
I think the issue I don't understand is what name has the 2 disks in freenas ???
As I understand and see in Storage-Disk their name is ada1 and ada2, or am I wrong here ???
And every time I use "gpart destroy -F ada1" I get invalid argument on the name "ada1" ???????

How do I see the right names to use in the gpart command ?

I guess the disk does not have any think on them, and I must now use gpart to partition them from scratch - please help !!!!

kaastrup

Dabbler
After confirm create pool I get this - I thought that creating new pool would also partition the blank disks ?????

1552060687144.png

kaastrup

Dabbler
More Info from create pool error;

Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/tastypie/resources.py", line 219, in wrapper
response = callback(request, *args, **kwargs)
File "./freenasUI/api/resources.py", line 1414, in dispatch_list
request, **kwargs
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/tastypie/resources.py", line 450, in dispatch_list
return self.dispatch('list', request, **kwargs)
File "./freenasUI/api/utils.py", line 251, in dispatch
request_type, request, *args, **kwargs
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/tastypie/resources.py", line 482, in dispatch
response = method(request, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/tastypie/resources.py", line 1384, in post_list
updated_bundle = self.obj_create(bundle, **self.remove_api_resource_names(kwargs))
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/tastypie/resources.py", line 2175, in obj_create
return self.save(bundle)
File "./freenasUI/api/utils.py", line 415, in save
form.save()
File "./freenasUI/storage/forms.py", line 311, in save
raise e
File "./freenasUI/storage/forms.py", line 300, in save
notifier().create_volume(volume, groups=grouped, init_rand=init_rand)
File "./freenasUI/middleware/notifier.py", line 759, in create_volume
vdevs = self.__prepare_zfs_vdev(vgrp['disks'], vdev_swapsize, encrypt, volume)
File "./freenasUI/middleware/notifier.py", line 694, in __prepare_zfs_vdev
swapsize=swapsize)
File "./freenasUI/middleware/notifier.py", line 340, in __gpt_labeldisk
c.call('disk.wipe', devname, 'QUICK', job=True)
File "./freenasUI/middleware/notifier.py", line 340, in __gpt_labeldisk
c.call('disk.wipe', devname, 'QUICK', job=True)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/client/client.py", line 477, in call
raise ClientException(job['error'], trace=job['exception'])
middlewared.client.client.ClientException: Command '('gpart', 'create', '-s', 'gpt', '/dev/ada1')' returned non-zero exit status 1.

As I understand and see in Storage-Disk their name is ada1 and ada2, or am I wrong here ???
Correct
How do I see the right names to use in the gpart command ?
From the serial numbers. To aid in identification, place a label with the s/n in a prominent place on the disk.
After confirm create pool I get this - I thought that creating new pool would also partition the blank disks ?????
Just for testing purposes, attempt to create a pool with a single disk. Repeat with the second disk. If just one fails, you could have a faulty disk.

kaastrup

Dabbler
Correct

From the serial numbers. To aid in identification, place a label with the s/n in a prominent place on the disk.

Just for testing purposes, attempt to create a pool with a single disk. Repeat with the second disk. If just one fails, you could have a faulty disk.
I tried with just one disk at time - both disk fails to create pool and with the same error. "returned none-zero exit status 1"

I know which disk (ada1 and ada2) has which s/n - see storage disk above....That's not an issue. What I ment was, that I have seem several places on forums that a disk had the naming convention ex. ada0s1 or da1s1 - so maybe I was wrong in assuming that ada1 and ada2 was the names to use together with gpart commands ????

I am close to thinking that there must be a special non compatible combination with these Toshiba HDWD110ZSVA (P300) disk and the ZFS file system.

The disk are running right now in a new installed NT server (2016) without any problems - and they where running fine in QNAP and OPENMEDIAVAULT earlier this week....

But I would still like to hear the solution from an expert....

kaastrup

Dabbler
Update - I was able to run "gpart create -s gpt ada2" on ada2 disk, but still not on ada1.
So now I started DBAN wipe on ada1
I also remember that I cancelled a disk wipe in openmediavault, but only on one of the disk, so there might have been a difference in the state of the 2 disks.
What I don't understand is, that why is gpart (zfs) not more "intelligent" and able to do the trick.....Even windows was able to delete the old partition and create a new MBR and format that.....Why is gpart not ???

pschatz100

Guru
What I don't understand is, that if you are not familiar with FreeBSD why are you trying to create volumes at the command line instead of using the GUI?

For what it's worth, I am not a FreeBSD guru, so I use Windows tools to wipe disks and remove partitions when necessary. From there, I use the GUI to set up my disks and create pools. That way, they are set up properly for FreeNAS.

kaastrup

Dabbler
I was using the gui at my freebsd introduction 3 days ago as i had never worked on "unix" before...but it did not work in the gui...BUT last night dban wipe did the trick, so there must have been som leftovers from omv on that one disk ada1. After dban i was able to gpart ada1 and all 3 disks shows gpt in gpart now....and after 3 days i became freebsd intermidiate the hard way :p:p:p