Windows VM For Small Business?

empmdk

Dabbler
I do all the IT work for a small business & will be building them a new server very soon. My plan has been to run FreeNAS for backups of all PC's in the office and other general file storage & have a Windows VM installed. Some of the software they use (accounting & estimates) requires a Windows based server to hold the files.
On my home server I have been testing this scenario & so far has been very stable. My only issue with it is that it seems to be fairly laggy even while using VirtIO drivers. However, they will not be using the Windows install directly. The software they use basically just works with the files stored on there so I don't think it would be a big deal.

The Windows VM will have it's own pool running on an SSD which will be backed up daily to the mass storage pool of Red drives.

Does anyone here have any experience with this kind of situation? Would you trust this setup for a small office, any tips, alternatives, etc.

Last edited:

blanchet

Guru
Bhyve Windows VM are very slow because the virtio disk is not supported yet. It is probably a bad idea to use such a setup for a professional usage.
VMware is a better plateform to run Windows VM than bhyve.

With VMware ESXi free, you have to install an agent (for example Veeam Agent Free) to backup the VM.
Therefore, I strongly suggest to buy at least VMware vSphere Essentials, so that you can use Veeam Backup & Replication Community Edition (it can backup 10 VMs for free) to backup VMs without agent. In this case you will have very good setup for a small office.

Other hypervisors (Citrix Xenserver, XCP-NG, Hyper-V, Promox VE) may work, but VMware ESXi is really the best product on the market.

If you have the suitable hardware and skills, you can setup a datacenter in a box with VMware and FreeNAS. But a setup with two servers is easier.

empmdk

Dabbler
Thanks for the great information, blanchet. Since I don't have enough spare parts laying around to do a test build with ESXi or XCP, I'll stick with having two systems at least till FreeNAS has better Windows compatibility.

blanchet

Guru
Good news: there is a patch to support virtio disk for Windows guests.
Bad news: the patch has reached the FreeBSD repository only on May 2, 2019, that means you may have to wait for FreeNAS 12.1 to get it.

empmdk

Dabbler
Ah great. Thanks for the heads-up. I'll keep an eye on the roadmap for this.

ChrisChros

Patron
Hi, is this patch now included within 11.3 RC1?
If so, how can I change from AHCI to VirtIO Disk Driver on an existing Windows VM?
Thanks

Tsaukpaetra

Patron
If you already have an install using AHCI, you'll need to get the VirtIO drivers installed and working in order to do the switch.
First, add a spare disk as VirtIO (Do NOT switch your OS drive yet at this point, it doesn't need to be formatted or anything, any ZVol will work). Once booted, mount the VirtIO driver ISO, go into Device Manager and find the Unknown Device, right-click and choose Update Driver.
In the New Hardware wizard, select "Browse my computer for driver software", and enter in the mounted drive's letter in for the search path (I.e. D:\). Click Next, and Windows should automatically find the RedHat VirtIO driver. It should prompt you to allow signed drivers (if you've never installed a VirtIO driver before).
At this point, if Windows has not crashed you should be able to shutdown the VM, go into Devices, and switch the OS drive to VirtIO (you can also remove the dummy disk, we're done with it now).
If all goes well, Windows will start up, say it's installing devices and reboot back, normal as can be (except perhaps a little faster now that it's using VirtIO).

ChrisChros

Patron
Thanks, I followed your instruction with creating a spare disk and mounting this as VirtIO Disk. Windows installed a driver "Red Hat VirtIO SCSI controller".
Is this the right one?

sretalla