SOLVED Windows Shares/Active Directory Issue

veldthui

Dabbler
I have a local user on my Freenas 11.3RC1 called johnv and used this for an ACL for a windows share. It was all good and could access the share okay with no problems.

I then added my Active directory under Directry Services which also has a user called johnv. Both users showed in the users list one just as johnv and the other as JVNET/johnv.

However I could then no longer access the share from my windows machine. It kept asking for a password and when entered it said it was incorrect. Even tried the root login and password and said wrong password. Only way I could access it again was to disabled the active directory. Once I disabled this access was available.

Last edited:

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
When you're joined to AD, you need to prefix your server's NetBIOS name to the SamAccountName for authentication (i.e. "freenas\johnv"). This is basically the same as Windows behavior in an AD domain.

veldthui

Dabbler
Yes but how do I use the local account name rather than the AD account name. Windows handles local accounts fine on Windows machines.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Yes but how do I use the local account name rather than the AD account name. Windows handles local accounts fine on Windows machines.
a
Once again, the netbios name of the server as a prefix for the account name when authenticating over as a local account over SMB in an AD environment. If your FN server's netibios name is FREENAS, then authenticate as FREENAS\johnv.