Windows fails to install with 2 vcpu's in Bhyve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alpinesun

Cadet
All,

I'm seeing some strange behaviour with Bhyve and Windows 7 and 10 on install with 2 vcpu's configured in the VM.

Basically it gets to 'Expanding Windows files' and gets stuck there at random percentages compete. If I install on a single vcpu it works and installs no problem. If I then add a second vcpu once installed the VM hangs at the Windows loading screen.

Running:
Build FreeNAS-11.1-U2
Platform AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor
Memory 32688MB

Anyone have any ideas?

Regards,

Col

From what little I could find it seems there is an incompatibility with some of the AMD cpu's with more than one core assigned to a VM.

https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/bhyve-with-windows-10.56912/

I run into problems... on my machine i tried first on Intel machine with FreeBSD 12 it worked with 2 cpu's and 2Gb ram now i tried on my AMD and it freezes the installation of Windows 10 with all the same settings. When i made the VM 4G Ram it freezes later and with 8Gb of ram it freezes again but again later. What am i doing wrong??

EDIT: Think a memory error... ?

it only works on AMD A8 with FreeBSD 12 with 1 cpu core

EDIT: It could be a broken memory problem.

So you are likely stuck with a single core or getting a different MoBo and CPU unless there is some incentive for the FreeBSD/bhyve people to start working on older AMD hardware and figure it out.

Alpinesun

Cadet
That is one of the reasons why AMD cpu's are not recommended. They are not as well documented so they don't have the same compatibility as Intel. Personally I would rather use AMD for everything but for my FreeNAS I didn't want to roll the dice.

RAurelian

Dabbler
My 2 cents: I`ve been having Windows 10 get stuck during installation in BHYVE (FreeNAS-11.1-U1) on an Intel CPU as well. The only way I got it running was to install it with just 1 CPU and no devices, except VNC, HDD (AHCI) and CD (so no NIC!). After it got installed, I installed all of the VirtIO drivers I could install + I added the following System Tunables in the FreeNAS GUI:
(Type: Loader) hw.vmm.topology.cores_per_package: 4
(Type: Loader) hw.vmm.topology.threads_per_core: 2

After this, I allocated 6 CPUs and it works OK. I could also allocate NIC (even VirtIO) without issues.

In FreeNAS-11.1-U2 the VM works OK and stable, but I did not try to install it again and see if it still needs to be installed with just 1 CPU.

Try using just 1 CPU and see how it goes. In case you already tried it, disregard my post.

Status
Not open for further replies.