Windows 10 client sees FreeNAS machine but can't access SMB share

I have a fresh FreeNAS box setup, can connect to the web-based management page just fine, Windows will see the machine in network locations; however, when I try to open the network location or map a drive, there's a prompt for network credentials and no matter which user I try to login with there's an error "The user name or password is incorrect". The user accounts I tried are definitely present in the FreeNAS users list, the passwords match, the SMB service is running ib the FreeNAS box, I even tried manually adding an ACL entry for a specific user, and I am now at a loss; any help would be appreciated.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Have you created a dataset and a share?

Dataset has been created and files I want to share imported, SMB share created and pointed to the dataset, SMB service is running on the FreeNAS box.

FreeNAS 11.3-U3.2 here. Also, client is Windows 10 Pro version 1909, build 18363.900, for what it's worth.

Welp... seems I can now connect to the share, but only if NTLMv1 Auth is enabled in the SMB service settings. It does work now, I guess, but I'd prefer not to use what is a less secure method

Yorick

Wizard
There are a lot of good guides out there, and you categorically do not need NTLMv1. In the hopes it's helpful, here's a YT I recorded on creating Windows shares. It talks only about the basics and links to articles for more advanced ACL config.

I had actually tried going through some of the guides when I first tried to set it up, but anyway... It now does seem to work, but only after I dug through the Windows security policy editor and forced NTLMv2 only in "LAN Manager authentication level". That seems such a stereotypically Microsoft thing to do, burying necessary configuration options in the arse end of an app, somewhere :tongue: