SOLVED White screen when trying to install FreeNAS

Fred974

Contributor
Hi,

I am trying to install FreeNAS in 1 of my node on a Dell PowerEdge C6220 II and everytime I tried, I get a white screen and I cannot proceed.
I select boot from USB, I then choose option 1 to install FreeNAS, some stuff load on the screen jst before going white.

I have uploaded a short 40 seconds video showing the issue here.

I tried to install on the other nodes, but the issue is the same. Maybe a bios things?

I really hope someone here can help me.

ps: I have the same issue when trying to install FreeBSD

Fred974

Contributor
I forgot to mentioned that I am trying to install FreeNAS 11.2-release

D

dlavigne

Which utility did you use to write the installation image?
Is the BIOS at its latest version?

Fred974

Contributor
Hi,

Sorry for the very late reply.
I burn the iso to USB using rufus 3.4.
I can install FreeNAS-11.1 with no issue at all but not 11.2.

I installed 11.1 and done a system update to 11.2 and I have the screen issue with the screen (completely blank) however, I can access the web GUI so this makes me think that FreeNAS 11.2 is missing some driver for my display maybe?

How can I see what is missing in order to have a screen display?

Dell PowerEdge C6220 II bios is 2.5.3

Thank you in advance

pro lamer

Guru
You may start with logging in using SSH (or at least the "console")... (Edit: to gain access to log files etc)

Edit2: IIRC the SSH service is not enabled by default - one needs to enable it. It can be done using GUI (at least it worked this way in 9.x version according to Uncle Fester)

But then ... someone more experienced than me will need to help ;) since I don't know what logs to look in.

Sent from my phone

Last edited:

Fred974

Contributor
I swapped the monitor to another brand and updated to the latest bios and the issue is still the same.
I can access the console via the web interface but what am I looking for?
Code:
ssh root@myip
doesn't work

Fred974

Contributor
Hi,

This update is purely for the next person with the same issue.
I fixed the problem by login to the console via the web GUI and run:
Code:
mount -uw /

vi /boot/loader.conf
Code:
hw.vga.textmode=1

reboot and problem is gone

jussumo

Cadet
Hi,

This update is purely for the next person with the same issue.
I fixed the problem by login to the console via the web GUI and run:
Code:
mount -uw /

vi /boot/loader.conf
Code:
hw.vga.textmode=1

reboot and problem is gone

I'm having a very similar issue to this. The screen actually goes white a lot sooner. How were you able to login to the web GUI if you weren't able to get past installation?

Fred974

Contributor
I'm having a very similar issue to this. The screen actually goes white a lot sooner. How were you able to login to the web GUI if you weren't able to get past installation?
Hi,
You have 2 choice..
1.The issue didn't exit with the FreeNAS11. 1 Iso.. I installed the 11.1 version and then upgrade via gui go 11.2.

2. When Freenas load press whatever number it is to get to boot loader option and type that command. When it exit, you'll have your screen.

I'm typing on phone right now.. Maybe I'll look for you tomorrow if you still stuck.

Hour this help

jussumo

Cadet
@jussumo did you solve your issue ?
After some experimenting yes; I ended up reinstalling 11.1 and was able to access the GUI & shell add in the code. I'm updating back to 11.2 to see if it works. If not, at least I know what to do now. Thank you for your help!

Real_Dog_Dad

Cadet
Hi,
I've found if you use integrated graphics first install is unimpeded. Running through any peripheral graphics hiccups the install. Hope this helps!