where is best to install the plugin jail?

Christopher Joyson

Contributor
Yes just noticed that, since you pointed it out, however I must have had the latest date on the threads back to front!

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I am bumping this to see if the current logic behind the answer has changed now that we are on version 9.10.

Would it be a reasonable thing to install some configuration of solid state drives to create the "jails" root folder?

StarkJohan

Explorer
I am bumping this to see if the current logic behind the answer has changed now that we are on version 9.10.

Would it be a reasonable thing to install some configuration of solid state drives to create the "jails" root folder?
Did you ever find an updated answer to this? I'm thinking this might be even more interesting now that we're looking at FreeNAS 10 and docker containers on the horizon. At least for mid- to low-end users like me sitting on a main pool consisting of spinning metal looking for a bit more snappy jails or VMs.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Did you ever find an updated answer to this? I'm thinking this might be even more interesting now that we're looking at FreeNAS 10 and docker containers on the horizon. At least for mid- to low-end users like me sitting on a main pool consisting of spinning metal looking for a bit more snappy jails or VMs.
I don't think anyone is looking at this thread any more.. It was started back in 2012 after all...

I installed my Jails to a separate pool that is made of 1TB drives in a mirror. The main storage pool is all 2TB drives in RAID-z2 and I am not sure which pool is faster.

StarkJohan

Explorer
Yeah, I'm pretty much already decided on separating my jails/VMs from my main pool. Leaning towards two SSDs in a mirror with regular backups to the main pool. I can't imagine there being any real downside except for SSD lifetime and in my setup the SSD write number limitations will not be an issue.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Yeah, I'm pretty much already decided on separating my jails/VMs from my main pool. Leaning towards two SSDs in a mirror with regular backups to the main pool. I can't imagine there being any real downside except for SSD lifetime and in my setup the SSD write number limitations will not be an issue.
I used a single SSD for my original Jail. A mirrored pair of SSDs should be very fast, but modern ones have enough ware endurance that you will probably not use them up before you are ready to move to new hardware.
I started with a 128GB SSD and ran out of room because I was running my PLEX server and a couple other VMs from it. I am using a mirror of 1TB spinning disks now and the performance is good enough and I am using less than half the space. I figure it is plenty of space for the next couple years.
It just depends on what you plan to do with your system.
If you want, I could make some recommendations, just tell me something about what you are looking to do.

StarkJohan

Explorer
I'm running Plex and a few VM's too. No big db's, no heavy loads what so ever so I'm sure pretty much anything will do really. Going for SSD's is more of a luxury than necessity. I'm at roughly 250GB on my jail dataset so 500GB SSD's should be just fine for quite a while. Thanks anyways.

Raksasas

Dabbler
Reading throught this makes me wonder if my IOCAGE stuff is in the right location. Pardon me if this is the wrong place to ask this. The warden jails are within the system dataset pool that I created back in 9.10. But when I created a IOCAGE jail with the 11.1 U1, bata UI, they ended up outside my system dataset pool.

/mnt/nas/jails - warden

11.1 U1
/mnt/iocage - iocage
/mnt/nas/jails - warden

Is this the correct location? If not, how do I fix it?

I havn't had much luck with the IOCAGE jails working but that is not what I am asking about.

lopr

Explorer
That's OK. You mistook mount point for dataset location. Iocage will be mounted at /mnt/iocage always but still be located at systempool/iocage

bbox

Dabbler
I don't think anyone is looking at this thread any more.. It was started back in 2012 after all...

I installed my Jails to a separate pool that is made of 1TB drives in a mirror. The main storage pool is all 2TB drives in RAID-z2 and I am not sure which pool is faster.

Well, I am looking at it right now :). I have a pool of 8 2TB drives in raidz2 and practicaly can have all the datasets inside, including the one for plugin jails. There are some nice quirks and tweaks to optimise a non-optimal set up of 8 drives (due to lost space etc.), but I was thinking going back to more traditional 6 drives raidz2 configuration and employ the rest of two drives for something more efficient, maybe of this sort.
Generally it is accepted, that everything on one pool is most optimal. But I was wondering, what are the benefits of having jails/plugins/vms on separate pool, tailored whether of mirrored SSDs or HDDs as You have?
Experienced any downsides?

lopr

Explorer
Generally it is accepted, that everything on one pool is most optimal. But I was wondering, what are the benefits of having jails/plugins/vms on separate pool, tailored whether of mirrored SSDs or HDDs as You have?
don't mix different technology into one pool. ZFS is not able to handle that efficiently. If you need SSDs for your VMs/jails make a dedicated SSD pool

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Well, I am looking at it right now :). I have a pool of 8 2TB drives in raidz2 and practicaly can have all the datasets inside, including the one for plugin jails. There are some nice quirks and tweaks to optimise a non-optimal set up of 8 drives (due to lost space etc.), but I was thinking going back to more traditional 6 drives raidz2 configuration and employ the rest of two drives for something more efficient, maybe of this sort.
Thanks, my post from 2016 really brought back memories.
I have currently three pools in my main server. One of six mirror vdevs, one with four drives in RAID-Z for backup and the main storage pool that is two vdevs of six drives each.
So, pool layout is all down to what you are using the pool for.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

bbox

Dabbler
Did You ever actualized Your decision? If so, did that went well?

diskdiddler

Wizard
My next build will be similar, hoping to move jails / download folder off the main pool entirely.

seedz

Dabbler
This is what i did as well.

32G M2 SSD (cost me 30€), for freenas root
500G SATA SSD where all my jails and VMs reside (my old main computer SSD, got replaced)
8x2TB disks in RAIDZ2 with hot spare + 128G M2 SSD as cache

i've got Deluge setup.
when downloading, it goes into the jail, so, into the SSD.
when it has finished downloading and then seeding, it stops and move the files to the main tank.

But i'm still unsure if my disks ever spindown, as i run emby...

8ender

Cadet
I moved my jails to a very cheap 128GB SSD and they just fly on that happy little thing. Main pool stays idle when it needs to, and the little sidekick churns away. It's a pretty great setup. SSDs are super cheap these days and there's no reason to have your pools churn away on little mundane tasks if they don't need to.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Yeah I put dual 500GB SSDs in mine, (mirror) and it's been handy.