where do you find hdd deals?

iliak

Contributor
we are looking fill up old qnap and another new freenas server with new hdds
we looking for approx 10 hdds of 10-12 tb (we can wait few weeks till a good deal is available)

any suggestions for goot site\store to look for deals?

Last edited:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Depends. If you want to buy new retail drives, you really just need to keep some price searches going. If you are fine with shucking, at least here in the US, Best Buy has their WD Easystore drives on sale usually at least once a quarter for at least $100 off.

iliak

Contributor
Depends. If you want to buy new retail drives, you really just need to keep some price searches going. If you are fine with shucking, at least here in the US, Best Buy has their WD Easystore drives on sale usually at least once a quarter for at least $100 off.
what is "shucking"
are are located outside of US... so international shipping is required,(best buy never ship to my address)

Yorick

Wizard
10TB makes this a little challenging. Right now, a WD Elements is $140 for 8TB, and $230 for 10TB. Inside are HGST Ultrastar He drives, with firmware that spins them at 5400 rpm instead of 7200.

If you need / want 7200 rpm and/or wd external drives aren’t affordable where you are, you’d just look for deals on internal ones. Expect to pay a premium for 10TB and 12TB over 8TB. Your sweet spot may be to buy a few more drives at 8TB instead to get to your desired capacity.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Actually I'd have to agree with that. 8TB shuckables have been selling as low as $129 whereas 10TB have only gone as low as $179 from what I recall.

iliak

Contributor
8TB is ok, we are not bound for 10-12TB, (i just thought it would be most cost effective)

the drives will work 24/7 under medium load
what are available with good price\value ( most of them will fit in array of 8)
what model should i buy (if the price is good i might the order them today)

btw wd gold 10tb cost 520$ here. that why buying locally usually is not an option

Amazon\ newegg preferred without possible for the 3.3v pin issue

Last edited:

Constantin

Vampire Pig
I'd also consider the refurbished route. For example, over the winter holidays, gohardrive.com sold 8TB HGST 7200 RPM Helium-filled drives with a 5-year warranty for something like $186 via Amazon. Currently, the price is higher at USD209. Another vendor on Amazon (Tech on Tech) is currently offering 10TB He10 7200RPM drives for USD214 and a 3-year warranty.

Keep in mind, that with either vendor they're not selling items with an OEM warranty. My experience with Goharddrive has been positive - when a hard drive failed they were very professional - I sent them the SMART error report and they sent me a pre-paid mailing label for the return. OEMs don't issue pre-paid postage labels... Other users here swore off them though because they got too many DOA drives from them. I have no post-sale experience with Tech on Tech yet.

No idea if the experience would be different for international sales. I'd contact them before committing to a sale. Depending on the reliability of the local delivery services, I'd also arrange a trusted transfer method. I've had good luck with FedEX and DHL/TNT internationally, other service providers like UPS may contract out local delivery, which can result in delivery problems. USPS international is usually reliable for letters as long as you don't mind long delivery delays (my favorite: "Priority overnight" took 3 weeks to destination in France). International packages can be downright terrible re: theft, and on-time performance, however (have had bad experiences with UK and France, Germany OK).

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
Other users here swore off them though because they got too many DOA drives from them.
That would be me. Though not so much DOA as "died within warranty period". I had eight failures of six disks within a year.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
So far, I’ve had one out of 9 drives fail. The rest have been chugging along without issues. Sometimes it’s a bad batch, sometimes it’s a bunch of Seagate ST3000 “Deathstar” drives.

Last edited:

Nasiiey

Cadet
I've seen a reduction of up to $66 .

iliak

Contributor
after some reading i see that shucking hdd can have higher failure rate,
currently i am thinking of HUH721010ALE600 for 420$ (best price i got for local dealer)

Yorick

Wizard
It’s a good drive; you’ll pay a premium for 10TB over 8TB. Keep in mind that drive uses power disable. Either your PSU supports it or, if it’s a modular PSU you can disconnect the 3.3V lead or, you can use tape made for the purpose to block the pin on the drive connector. There are YouTube videos about it.