What is the advantage of the Sonarr plugin?

lyle

Contributor
Total noob question. I am currently using Sonarr with SABnzbd outside of Freenas. It's working great! What advantage would I get if I used the Freenas plugin? It seems really easy already, how would the plugin improve my quality of life?

MikeyG

Patron
I think it's just a matter of resources. If you have sonarr running in a VM or another machine, using the plugin instead would free up that resource. Plugins and jails can be pretty memory efficient, and some people prefer to have as much running in one server as possible.

lyle

Contributor
Thanks for the response. Am I understanding things correctly that if I use the plugin then sonarr & sabnzbd would be constantly doing their thing in the background since that machine is always on? That would be an advantage, as now I have to periodically run the two programs manually from my home computer (which is not usually on) to collect the weeks shows.

MikeyG

Patron
Yes, that would be an advantage for sure.

lyle

Contributor
One more question- do I have to install an sabzbd plugin separately or does the sonarr plugin take care of that somehow?

MikeyG

Patron
It's a separate plugin.

lyle

Contributor
Both plugins installed now, almost there!
I am setting up SABnzbd as the download client in Sonarr. The SABnzbd url is 192.168.1.250:8090. So....in Sonarr I put in the Host as 192.168.1.250 and the port as 8090, but the test fails: "Unable to connect to SABnzbd"
Any ideas?

poita66

Cadet
In case you didn't figure it out and for future visitors: you'll need to use the IP address listed in the Plugins or Jails UI for SABnzbd, which for me was 172.16.0.10/30 (exclude the /30 when you're entering it in Sonarr). Also, you'll need to use the port specified in SABnzbd (which defaults to 8080), not the external port set for the jail.

lyle

Contributor
@poita66, thanks so much for chiming in! I did figure it out and everything is working perfectly. This has been a huge time-saver and quality of life improvement for me. Anyone else that is considering this project, I highly recommend it. Wish I would have done this a long time ago!