What interface do I choose when creating a new jail for plex with a static IP?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
What I find odd in the OP's original ifconfig is the presence of epair0a and epair0b on the host... normally the a and b pair is in and outside the jail, not both outside. I have no idea how to make that happen.

I noticed that epair0b has 2 MAC address pairs...

ether 02:ff:60:57:7e:c1
hwaddr 02:1e:d0:00:08:0b
ether 02:ff:60:57:7e:c1
hwaddr 02:1e:d0:00:08:0b

Not sure how they got there, perhaps at least one pair can be removed?

urza

Dabbler
That's not how networking works. Generally each interface would be assigned a vlan/subnet combo. O e you have that, then you could just pick an IP and have the correct vnet selected automatically ish.

I have no idea what you are talking about :) And Freenas developers should assume that about Freenas users. I just need to set static IP so I know what to type into browser. Vlans and everything else is beyond me.

Mickey B

Dabbler
I ended up doing this. Can we get the feedback to Freenas developers that their networking UX really sux for normal users? Ideally I only want to select "I want this jail on this IP, figure out the rest" in Freenas.

Im glad you got this working but there are so many fixes for things, and only 10% of them work. Im with you with what you say about the networking because there is no generic user guide. Its just 500 different options, now figure it out! I still use Uncle Fester's guide for things i dont understand because each screenshot and commentary really helped you work through it. The Freenas manual is a cluster*** for normal users.

Anyway - im so close to abandoning it due to months (not even joking) of mucking about, testing different fixes and getting nowhere. Whoever runs the show needs a good kick in the butt.

Mickey B

Dabbler
I have no idea what you are talking about :) And Freenas developers should assume that about Freenas users. I just need to set static IP so I know what to type into browser. Vlans and everything else is beyond me.

Absolutely