What do you think about 10TB Drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rs225

Guru
I'm no math expert but RAIDz1(or RAID5) is dead on larger drives, maybe RAIDz2(or RAID6) is now close to being dead? At what point does this happen to RAIDz3, RAIDz4?(or whatever they call it)

Sounds true, but isn't true, for ZFS.

RAIDz1 is not dead.

1. Many FreeNAS systems run scrubs regularly.(And everyone should!)
2. To each individual drive, a ZFS scrub is functionally identical to a rebuild.
3. Nobody is reporting their drives having even a single error on every scrub.
4. Nobody reports their drives regularly dying during scrubs.
5. Therefore, we can conclude the odds of any drive dying or having an error during a resilver approach zero, not 100%!
6. Even IF you got a single block read error during a resilver, you would lose one block of data and would know where, and you can lose no metadata, because ZFS stores that twice.

RAIDz1 is not dead. If this statement alarms you, you probably Don't Have A Backup. If you feel safer because you have RAIDz2, you probably Don't Have A Backup.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
5. Therefore, we can conclude the odds of any drive dying or having an error during a resilver approach zero, not 100%!

Except you periodically see people come into the FreeNAS IRC who have had this sort of thing happen, which makes me leery of your deduction that RAIDZ1 is fine.

Drives can and do fail during rebuilds / resilvering or fail in groups. I've seen this happen IRL. RAIDZ2 significantly mitigates this risk.

CraigD

Patron
RAIDz1 is not dead. If this statement alarms you, you probably Don't Have A Backup. If you feel safer because you have RAIDz2, you probably Don't Have A Backup.

You make some good points

Correct I don't have backups and I do feel safe with RAIDz2

Honestly I think that 99.9% of home users don't have backups and use the parity in ZFS as a "better than nothing" solution

The great thing about freeNAS is you can design your pools as you wish your speed, size, redundancy levels and backup solution(s) are up to you

Have fun

Status
Not open for further replies.