Register for the iXsystems Community to get an ad-free experience and exclusive discounts in our eBay Store.

What DEs are you using since Hal (dependency) has been removed?

Thanks
What DEs are people using since Cinnamon, Gnome, Mate, and Xfce are removed, and KDE is having issues?

(Edit: Besides Lumina. This isn't an anti-Lumina thread, though.)

Last edited:
Thanks
Lumina with KDE Baseapps.
Hmm. Might give that some thought. Right now I'm considering LXQt.

Edit: Tried LXQt. Similar to Lumina. So tried your suggestion of Lumina with KDE Base apps. Not bad. Improvement, but having a difficult time getting the KDE apps to play nicely with the Lumina/Trident Dark Theme. Sure, I could go Light Theme and (most) all would be well, but that's not what I want. :D

Last edited:
Thanks
Okay, unless someone comes up with a better idea, I think I've got it. Lumina with KDE Base apps, and trident-dark theme copied and two colors changed so that I can actually see every-other file in Dolphin! :cool:

Thanks
Okay, unless someone comes up with a better idea, I think I've got it. Lumina with KDE Base apps, and trident-dark theme copied and two colors changed so that I can actually see every-other file in Dolphin! :cool:
In the Theme Settings I'm using the Style Windows and Palette Default.
Some may think it makes a kinda boring grey Windows look, but I think I get a good visibility. Instead a use a nice wallpaper, with a pic of my motorcycle http://www.improvelife.info/salu/01_small.jpg:)

One small downside I found with Dolphin it that if you open, close and reopen it you won't be able to open e.g. PDF's and pictures.
Simply nothing happens when you try and the only way to get around it is to logout and login again. I quickly learned that so I just open Dolphin and leave it open for the rest of the session.

Thanks
I ended up getting the full KDE to install on 19.08, which is great! KDE apps work better under the full install, imagine that! Only issue is that Lumina works with KDE apps better with just a KDE Base Apps install, rather than a full install. No biggie. I just use KDE instead of Lumina on 19.08 (and just the base apps with Lumina on 12 U2).

Thanks
be aware. you are using 13-CURRENT. things will break. kde & gnome in particular
Oh, that’s fine. I appreciate the heads-up, but I’m just playing. I have about 15 different VMs setup across Parallels, VMware Fusion, VMware Player, and VirtualBox (both macOS and Win10). I just use these to stay current on *nix. My main machines are macOS and Windows. o_O:cool: