What about a 3D Printed Mini-ITX NAS Case?

briancmoses

Dabbler
One of my blog's readers, Toby, reached out to me and asked "What about a 3D Printed Mini-ITX NAS Case?"

I get asked this pretty frequently between my NAS-related blogs and my own 3D Printing blogs, but I usually tell those people that the concept is interesting, but well beyond my meager 3D designing capabilities. But i this case, Toby had something else in mind, he wanted me to look over his 3D-printed NAS case and wanted to know what my thoughts were.

I'm normally a bit uncomfortable with self-promoting my content, but Toby's case was impressive enough that I've been sharing this a few places I thought people might be interested in it.

Here's a few photos:
3D-Printed-NAS_Case-02.jpg

3D-Printed-NAS_Case-05.jpg

3D-Printed-NAS_Case-32.jpg

3D-Printed-NAS_Case-35.jpg

Constantin

Vampire Pig
That's really amazing. I wish I had the skills to draw these kinds of things - my education stopped at AutoCAD 2D. Congratulations!

I'm surprised the passive heatsink suffices, however.

If I were making a case like this for a NAS, I'd consider a different design from what we usually see. The HDDs would be arranged on side in the bottom using LIAN LI backplanes. Air would be pulled up via 3 120mm fans pointing up. The Flex ATX board and PS would be installed one level up. Two funnels would lead to the board from 120mm fans mounted in the side perimeter - one for the CPU, one for the SAS chip (LSI 2116). Then another set of fans would pull the air up and out of the enclosure. I'd consider having the "controls" on the same side as the I/O backplate, putting the PSU on the "front" instead.

briancmoses

Dabbler
That's really amazing. I wish I had the skills to draw these kinds of things - my education stopped at AutoCAD 2D. Congratulations!

I wish I had the skill, too! This is actually from one of my blog's readers and it's really quite amazing. However, I would encourage you to check out something like OpenSCAD. I think you'd be surprised at how easily you can start 3D designing things. I personally have 3D designed quite a few things and printed them to solve problems myself, it's really interesting.

I'm surprised the passive heatsink suffices, however.

It doesn't, for sure for this particular motherboard (Supermicro X10SDV-4C-TLN2F ). It just happened to be the only Mini-ITX motherboard I had laying around--it's only in there to test fitment and see how the case works. However, having crammed quite a few passively cooled CPUs (mostly Denverton/Avoton CPUs) into even similar-or-smaller cases, I wouldn't hesitate doing the same in this case.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Impressive stuff, no doubt. My main worry is that some components may be a little too fragile over the long term, particularly around the screws. I might have missed it in a quick read-through, but I'm curious about how the structural screws attach to the 3D-printed parts.
One disadvantage I see is that some combinations of environment and components might need some EMI shielding for things to work well, which would mean covering the panels with some metal foil or paint or something. I imagine most users wouldn't have to worry, particularly if the SATA cables (which are the only really high-speed cables you'd find in a server like this, apart from USB) are kept as short as possible.

It's not something I'd considered before, but 3D printing might actually be the answer to the search for the mythical compact small server chassis with good airflow.

If I were making a case like this for a NAS, I'd consider a different design from what we usually see. The HDDs would be arranged on side in the bottom using LIAN LI backplanes. Air would be pulled up via 3 120mm fans pointing up. The Flex ATX board and PS would be installed one level up. Two funnels would lead to the board from 120mm fans mounted in the side perimeter - one for the CPU, one for the SAS chip (LSI 2116). Then another set of fans would pull the air up and out of the enclosure. I'd consider having the "controls" on the same side as the I/O backplate, putting the PSU on the "front" instead.
Something like this, but symmetric and with fans at the top?

1553366896378.jpeg

I kinda like the idea, but I worry that it would require too much pressure to be viable.

Redcoat

MVP
I wish I had the skill, too! This is actually from one of my blog's readers and it's really quite amazing. However, I would encourage you to check out something like OpenSCAD. I think you'd be surprised at how easily you can start 3D designing things. I personally have 3D designed quite a few things and printed them to solve problems myself, it's really interesting.

It doesn't, for sure for this particular motherboard (Supermicro X10SDV-4C-TLN2F ). It just happened to be the only Mini-ITX motherboard I had laying around--it's only in there to test fitment and see how the case works. However, having crammed quite a few passively cooled CPUs (mostly Denverton/Avoton CPUs) into even similar-or-smaller cases, I wouldn't hesitate doing the same in this case.

I share @Constantin's conservatism on cooling having suffered a cooked Avoton in a small case. I actually wondered about the drives and their cooling with the subject case here - what's promoting air flow through their stack in this design?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I share @Constantin's conservatism on cooling having suffered a cooked Avoton in a small case. I actually wondered about the drives and their cooling with the subject case here - what's promoting air flow through their stack in this design?
There are fans at the rear, the linked blog post has more pictures.

Redcoat

MVP

Redcoat

MVP
Thx. I didn't look...
And now I have looked, I must comment that I haven't produced anything as aesthetically pleasing with my Prusa i3 Mk3 either - completely functional, yes, but nothing as apparently finely finished.

briancmoses

Dabbler
And now I have looked, I must comment that I haven't produced anything as aesthetically pleasing with my Prusa i3 Mk3 either - completely functional, yes, but nothing as apparently finely finished.

There's nothing wrong with completely functional things! I routinely marvel that I'm able to design solutions to problems and then print those solutions.

But you're absolutely right, this case is many, many, many levels beyond my ability to design. It's really amazing.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
Something like this, but symmetric and with fans at the top?
I kinda like the idea, but I worry that it would require too much pressure to be viable.
Almost. More like this:
side.jpeg

The snorkel on top is supposed to show how outside air is being brought into to impinge directly on the CPU and SAS chips. Possibly with a nozzle to concentrate on the center of the chip, blocking fin ends for better sealing, and so on.

This design would concentrate the weight at the bottom of the case, allow for an external 5.25" form factor fan controller above the PSU. There should be no issues re: air flow static pressure, this is basically the same design as the LIAN LI (whose backplanes and HDD cages I would use) except the drives are on edge and arrayed at the bottom vs. on edge but arrayed along the front (see A76, etc.)

danb35

Hall of Famer
Very, very cool. I don't know that I'd have a need for it, but since I recently bought a 3D printer, I'm always looking for candidates...

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I'm normally a bit uncomfortable with self-promoting my content, but Toby's case was impressive enough that I've been sharing this a few places I thought people might be interested in it.
Do you have a link to the files for this so people can print their own?
It would be just about perfect if it had an even number of drive bays, like eight, instead of seven.

Alecmascot

Guru
Aren't there RFI implications with a plastic case ?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Aren't there RFI implications with a plastic case ?
I wouldn't expect interference with other things to be a problem. Interference from other things might be, though.

briancmoses

Dabbler
Toby pasted a pretty gigantic status update on his Patreon page, including naming the case the "MK735." He's done quite a bit of tweaking to the case and shared a PDF with some more detailed information in there.

I've already signed up to be Toby's Patron and I don't want to spill any beans, I'd really really really encourage anyone interested in Toby's case to become a Patron and check it out!

danb35

Hall of Famer
Intriguing, and even though I don't have an immediate need, I'd be willing to pay a reasonable amount (TBD at this point) for the files--but I'm not particularly interested in signing up for a recurring payment. Is there an option to pay outright for the plans?

briancmoses

Dabbler
Is there an option to pay outright for the plans?

Unless there's been a change in plans, I think this is Toby's intent.

I encouraged him to start a Patreon page because I wanted to support his efforts and I wanted people to have an additional avenue to get updates on his progress.

His intent has always been to sell the STL files, I don't think that's changed.

Last edited:

OldXKEGuy

Cadet
Very nice, simple but looks effective. Is this out yet? I so, what's the cost? I like that everything looks like it's right up front behind a lockable door.

briancmoses

Dabbler
This is out! Toby recently listed it on MyMiniFactory.com: MK735 Mini Server / NAS Chassis

But, I'd also suggest that you first visit his own website, 3Dwebe.com: MK735 Mini Server / NAS Chassis first.

Among other things, there's some helpful information about getting started. Especially some STL files of a test object that will help you help get your printer dialed-in to print the MK735.

OldXKEGuy

Cadet
Thanks Brian, I did find it but I should have searched first and looks at your blog,
It's outrageously compact for a box with a full ATX power supply. Exactly what I want for my NAS setup running a six drive RAID-Z2 + a video camera recording drive. Timing is just about perfect. Still not through all your blog videos, but thanks for all that info on this. I don't have a Prusa printer but the print surface is about the same... gotta give this a tumble.

Last edited: