Welcome from the High Desert above Los Angeles (Quartz Hill)

realtimecat

Cadet
I have been using FreeNAS for the last year and a half running on a KVM Based virtual machine with a Marvell Technology 8BSE9235 SATA controller directly attached to the Virtual Machine.

Virtual host info:
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X running on a Gigabyte Aorus AX370-Gaming 5 motherboard
64GB "Premium" memory
Fedora Linux (originally V29, now up to V31)

FreeNAS Virtual Machine info:
Marvell Technology SATA controller
12GB memory allocated
4x WD 8TB drives (two red, two pulled out of WD 8TB EasyStore enclosures configured as a single RAID-Z1 zdev which is my current zfs volume.
I had previously run a JAIL with Emby within the configuration, but due to Emby not being kept up to date on the Jail, I had moved the Emby server off to a separate Virtual Machine on the KVM server. At this point there are no virtual machines or jails running with the FreeNAS configuration.

I have purchased a Freenas XL+, with 32GB of RAM and plan to first migrate the four drive configuration from the virtual machine to the physical enclosure. I would like to, if possible, move the current four drive configuration over to the new enclosure and restore the current configuration for the system, including all nfs and samba shares. I would then like to create a second 4 drive RAID-Z1 volume to add to the existing zfs volume.

Any comments, recommendations, or suggestions would be appreciated prior to my moving the hard drives over to the new configuration. Would it make more sense for me to leave the existing volumes in the current RAIDZ1 configuration, and take the time to purchase 8 new 8TB drives and configure them as a RAID-Z2 configuration, creating an entirely new instance for FreeNAS? Can I actually succeed in moving the existing virtual instance of FreeNAS over to new hardware, or would I be better off moving just the data drives over and building a new instance of FreeNAS, building new NFS shares and CIFS shares. Also, I am considering loading PC-NFS on all of my windows instances and eliminating Samba altogether - would this be a wise deciseion?

Any encouragement, criticisms (I know, running a FreeNAS config on a VM with substandard hardware is not the best configuration - that is why I bought the FreeNAS XL+ before I ran into trouble)) would be appreciated!