Web server and SSH unresponsive during and after heavy transfers / load

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandonpoc

Dabbler
If I'm doing heavy transfers to and from the NAS, such as many read/write over NFS from multiple servers, I find that both the web server and the SSH server become unresponsive. This unresponsiveness persists for well past the heavy load time, and in fact it's now been 5 minutes with virtually no load and it's still stuck. The NFS server is seemingly working just fine along with CIFS and I'd imagine others, but SSH and the web server just will not respond. SSH will hang right after connection, and so will the web server; could this have something to do with system resources being exhausted for a fork()?

EDIT: I just checked, and a logged-on console at the server is not responding to a simple "who" or "uptime" command, and login is not responding to entering username with "Password". It seems to be frozen, yet I am still able to access my files over the sharing protocols NFS, CIFS, etc!

My hardware is decent -- dual-core AMD Phenom II 2.6 GHz, 6GB DDR3, gigabit links, writing to and reading from a mix of SSD and 7200 RPM drives.

Anyone else experience this?

Thanks,

Brandon

gpsguy

Your description of "My hardware is decent ..." doesn't provide enough information for others to comment on. In addition to answering the questions below, tell us about your storage. Number of drives, sizes, how are they configured.

Including the following information in your thread will increase the chance you will get an answer:

FreeNAS version and platform (32 or 64 bit).
General hardware information (CPU, RAM, Motherboard model, etc.).
Specific hardware information (Network card chipset, Raid controller chipset, etc.).
DMESG output or copy of specific error message.
IFCONFIG output if you are asking about a NIC or networking problem.
PCICONF -lv output if you are asking about MotherBoard and / or PCI card problems.
Code snippets, logs, config files and quotes should be enclosed in the appropriate bbcode tags.
To provide you with accurate answers we need this information and it will also help others to find your posts when they are searching for similar information.

brandonpoc

Dabbler
Blackhole sysctl settings are all off (0), besides it wasn't that because the whole system was unable to execute any new commands it seems. The web interface wouldn't load, and the console was unresponsive as well as all other login terminals tty1 - tty6 etc.

-Brandon

- - - Updated - - -

I cannot provide dmesg as the system was locked up to any new commands via either console , shell , web etc.

I have 3x 3TB 7200rpm Barracuda HDDs, 2x 60GB OCZ Vertex 2.5" SSDs, 500GB 5400 2.5" WD drive. All other information was included in the post. Oh, and they're hooked up to either the motherboard SATA or to a PCI-X SATA.

- Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.