We Want to Hear Your Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbalsam

Explorer
Your story simply does not add up. Plenty of people use AD with FreeNAS. If you can point to something that is not working, file a bug report instead of posting passive-aggressive comments.

There are other ways to view people's reactions other than, Aggressive or Passive Aggressive. FYI, my comments were not Passive-Aggressive they were aggressive.

By the way, I've been on this forum for months, and between ben's comments and your's, this is the first time I understood that I can file a bug report.

Last edited:
B

Bgadd

1) A single checklist of things to verify when using Samba.
2) A script to verify if your Samba environment was configured correctly.
3) A list of errors and simple steps to verify what to do when an error occurs.
4) A list of log files to monitor when having an issue.
5) A log file that shows a summary of all the alerts seen in the GUI console. I asked about this on the forum several times and eventually gave up. Recently someone showed me the undocumented? "Show console messages in the footer". My guess this is a tail of dmesg.today file?
6) A complete rewrite of your documentation using a wiki-like tool like Confluence.

Excellent suggestions and we are taking steps to evaluate each one. As I said in my previous reply, we are committed to quality and we are taking the necessary steps to improve our product(s) overall. Please do follow back up with me after 11.2 FN is released in the coming months and let us know what you think. I do ask, before then, do submit tickets in Redmine for issues that you come across. Expressing them in a forum can be effective so the community can provide assistance, but submitting them via Redmine allows iX Engineers to investigate them.

Ben Gadd MBA CSM
Program Manager, Engineering
iXsystems

Arwen

MVP
1) A single checklist of things to verify when using Samba.
2) A script to verify if your Samba environment was configured correctly.
3) A list of errors and simple steps to verify what to do when an error occurs.
4) A list of log files to monitor when having an issue.
5) A log file that shows a summary of all the alerts seen in the GUI console. I asked about this on the forum several times and eventually gave up. Recently someone showed me the undocumented? "Show console messages in the footer". My guess this is a tail of dmesg.today file?
6) A complete rewrite of your documentation using a wiki-like tool like Confluence.
@mbalsam,
Thank you for being both clear and concise in your post. I may be a simple user that does not need Samba, but I am aware that many people DO need it.
That list looks like a good plan to improve implementation and diagnosing Samba. If / when I need to manage a Samba instance on FreeNAS, I hope your
feedback helps make the task easier.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
There are other ways to view people's reactions other than, Aggressive or Passive Aggressive. FYI, my comments were not Passive-Aggressive they were aggressive.

By the way, I've been on this forum for months, and between ben's comments and your's, this is the first time I understood that I can file a bug report.
I get the impression that you didn't find the right parts of the documentation and you didn't ask your questions in the right place because some of the things that you are talking about are documented. The process of opening a redmine ticket through the UI of FreeNAS, for example, is a tab in the UI, how could you overlook that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

rogerh

Guru
I get the impression that you didn't find the right parts of the documentation and you didn't ask your questions in the right place because some of the things that you are talking about are documented. The process of opening a redmine ticket through the UI of FreeNAS, for example, is a tab in the UI, how could you overlook that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
I don't think the direct conversion of support requests through the UI to bug reports is that transparent. It is something that is only going to work with a relatively computer literate user base, as in some open source projects, otherwise most technical queries in the industry generally are user error. I entered several bugs directly before I discovered the UI method!

rogerh

Guru
Sorry about the duplicate post.

danb35

Hall of Famer
...of course, a little bit of RTFM solves that problem... I'll agree that "support" doesn't intuitively tell me "submit a bug report", though once you click it it's pretty obvious what it does.

pro lamer

Guru
Geli metadata backup

Sent from my mobile phone

JoshDW19

Community Hall of Fame
Hey all,

Thank you very much for all of the ideas and submissions. We're going to close this thread now and discuss the many ideas that were presented. We plan on having another idea thread in the future, and we will let you know when that time comes.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.