SOLVED Warning: IPMI SEL low space left: 0 bytes (100% used).

Status
Not open for further replies.

quik

Dabbler
Maybe a good time to clean and/or refresh fans. Especially if this is an old machine. What's temperature of your system?
The system was built yesterday and is clean. The hdd temps are 35-45, cpu temps 35-82.
The fans are noctua, less than 1 year old. The system is fine, i just want to disable the error messages

aidasan

Explorer
hello i think you can set those threshold in your bios or ipmi configuration.

Exhorder

Explorer
I've got two server, both have lists full of this:
Code:
 5ed | 06/02/2020 | 05:05:27 | Processor #0xe4 | Presence detected | Asserted
 5ee | 06/02/2020 | 06:58:26 | reserved |  | Asserted
 5ef | 06/02/2020 | 06:59:47 | Processor #0xe4 | Presence detected | Asserted
 5f0 | 06/02/2020 | 07:55:28 | reserved |  | Asserted
 5f1 | 06/02/2020 | 07:56:49 | Processor #0xe4 | Presence detected | Asserted
 5f2 | 06/02/2020 | 08:52:38 | reserved |  | Asserted

Any ideas what's going on?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I've got two server, both have lists full of this:
Code:
 5ed | 06/02/2020 | 05:05:27 | Processor #0xe4 | Presence detected | Asserted
5ee | 06/02/2020 | 06:58:26 | reserved |  | Asserted
5ef | 06/02/2020 | 06:59:47 | Processor #0xe4 | Presence detected | Asserted
5f0 | 06/02/2020 | 07:55:28 | reserved |  | Asserted
5f1 | 06/02/2020 | 07:56:49 | Processor #0xe4 | Presence detected | Asserted
5f2 | 06/02/2020 | 08:52:38 | reserved |  | Asserted

Any ideas what's going on?
Which manufacturer and which board model? Latest BIOS installed? I'd check with the manufacturer or your reseller's support ...

philippn

Cadet
So ... what's the point of posting these? The system event log of your hardware is full! Look at it then clear it! Then fix whatever the system is complaining about. This is in absolutely no way FreeNAS related ...

Nope. The HP Microserver Gen8 (I have one too) is configured to log everything by default - and it is configured to act as a ring buffer, too. So it is not "full" in a typical manner.

For example, this is my log:
Code:
 1ac |  Pre-Init  |0004056681| System ACPI Power State #0xd5 | S0/G0: working | Asserted
 1ad |  Pre-Init  |0004056705| System ACPI Power State #0xd5 | S0/G0: working | Asserted
 1ae | 08/05/2020 | 07:21:42 | System ACPI Power State #0xd5 | S0/G0: working | Asserted
 1af | 08/05/2020 | 07:24:59 | System ACPI Power State #0xd5 | S0/G0: working | Asserted
 1b0 | 08/05/2020 | 11:41:31 | System ACPI Power State #0xd5 | S0/G0: working | Asserted

Let's be honest: Without any possibility to show and erase the SEL from the WebUI we may discuss how useful it is to show such an error warning. It may be useful if freenas extracts the SEL regularly and show critical errors in the alert section directly (like the fan problem above).

Dennis Lovelady

Dabbler
So ... what's the point of posting these? The system event log of your hardware is full! Look at it then clear it! Then fix whatever the system is complaining about. This is in absolutely no way FreeNAS related ...
Such a nice guy. Those of us who don't know everything might like to be told HOW to do a thing. In the process of abusing us, you might have at least done that. All good now, but no credit to your impatience.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Such a nice guy. Those of us who don't know everything might like to be told HOW to do a thing. In the process of abusing us, you might have at least done that. All good now, but no credit to your impatience.

Moderator note:

Please try to bear in mind that we have participants from around the globe, including many for whom English may not be their first language.

I suggest that you consider the second half of Postel's law ("be conservative in what you do, be liberal in what you accept from others.") Be liberal in what you accept from others. Instead of assuming the worst, that they're attacking you, perhaps it would be wise to consider that they have taken time out of their day to participate on the forum, and maybe they are trying in good faith to provide you with information that they believe that you need. Not everyone is the best at words, technical people in particular. Can what was said be taken in a manner that does not assume offense was meant? Then, by all means, please take it that way.

Thanks.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
The "solution" - in that it clears the log - is actually in the original post, as is the root complaint of "we need a way to issue an SEL clear from the GUI." But that isn't any more of a "solution" than sticking a piece of tape over your check engine light, Homer Simpson style.

The system event log is trying to tell you something - maybe something important, like "ECC threshold exceeded in DIMM_A1 - replace it" or "your CPU is overheating and thermally limiting itself" and simply muting the alarm isn't going to solve that, which is what I believe was trying to be said. (Perhaps a bit bluntly and out of frustration from the "me-too" posts, I'll admit, but the intentions were good.)

If there's a particular hardware bug that causes the SEL to fill itself up with false-positives, that's also something that needs to be addressed, otherwise you end up with "alert fatigue" and potentially miss a serious issue.

You can also set the threshold to "never alert" on the low space specifically, by going to System -> Alert Settings and setting IPMI SEL Low Space Left = NEVER but if your system doesn't cycle the oldest alerts out (or floods them so quickly that it pushes valid errors out) then you run the same risk of missing something important.

Cheers.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
This posting of mine is almost a year old. I don't remember what got the better of me at that moment but I admit that I was unnecessarily rude. Possibly too many other questions completely unrelated to True/FreeNAS on that day? I apologize.

As for the technical side: "clear your event log" was all the advice anybody on this forum is able to give who does not run the exact same hardware as the person asking the question. And I was at least technically correct that this is not in any way FreeNAS related.

Some systems require you to hit F2 to get at the BIOS setup, some DEL. Some won't even let you look at the system event log from the BIOS setup program but require to get at the IPMI somehow. Some have a web interface for that, some a Java app, some (Fujitsu) a quite capable SSH interface ... how should I tell?

Throw the one sentence in my rant with actual content "system event log of your hardware is full" at google and you shall be helped. Probably.

I assumed anyone running a server system was at least a bit familiar with their hardware and would call the vendor support instead of an arbitrary user forum for problems with that hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.