SOLVED Warning: IPMI SEL low space left: 0 bytes (100% used).

Status
Not open for further replies.

blanchet

Guru
After upgrading to FreeNAS 11.3 BETA, I have received the following alert on my HPE Microserver Gen8:
Warning: IPMI SEL low space left: 0 bytes (100% used).

There is no way to clear the IPMI System Event Log from the web UI, therefore you have to type as root in the shell:
ipmitool sel clear

D

dlavigne

Please create a feature request at bugs.ixystems.com and post the issue number here.

pschatz100

Guru
Thanks for posting this note. I encountered the same alert after upgrading to 11.3-U1

Urumiko

Dabbler
Same here, Also running a gen 8 microserver. fresh install on a SATA HDD with sata set to legacy mode in bios.

yourmate

Contributor
Same here - fresh install (details in signature)

DeeEyeNL

Cadet
I'm also getting this warning / alert in FreeNAS-11.3-U2 (on an ASRock E3C226D2I motherboard)
WARNING
IPMI SEL low space left: 0 bytes (100% used).

Iludest

Cadet
Me too for FreeNAS-11.3-U1 (on a SuperMicro X8SIL-F) after Upgrade from FreeNAS-11.2-U8:
WARNING
IPMI SEL low space left: 0 bytes (100% used).

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
So ... what's the point of posting these? The system event log of your hardware is full! Look at it then clear it! Then fix whatever the system is complaining about. This is in absolutely no way FreeNAS related ...

Iludest

Cadet
So ... what's the point of posting these? The system event log of your hardware is full! Look at it then clear it! Then fix whatever the system is complaining about. This is in absolutely no way FreeNAS related ...
Thank you for the hint, no need for further discussion.

DeeEyeNL

Cadet
Thanks! For others encountering these warnings, the commands to "look at it then clear it!" are:
ipmitool sel list
ipmitool sel clear

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I would have invoked the BIOS setup program ... thanks for the info.

quik

Dabbler
I've got the same message after switching hardware & installation. I cleared it as advised in the first post. 20 minutes later the message poped up again... should i just ignore it and wait a few days and see if i can clear it then?

Redcoat

MVP
I suggest that you follow Patrick's suggestion in post #9 - what is filling up the log?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Right. Your system is telling you something is wrong. That's what System Event Log means. Check the log messages and act accordingly.

Reactions: ide

quik

Dabbler
Right. Your system is telling you something is wrong. That's what System Event Log means. Check the log messages and act accordingly.
makes sense :D

Code:
05/15/2020 | 18:41:19 | Fan CPU_FAN1 | Lower Non-critical going low  | Deasserted | Reading 2000 < Threshold 1500 RPM
 f90 | 05/15/2020 | 18:41:20 | Fan CPU_FAN1 | Lower Non-critical going low  | Asserted | Reading 0 < Threshold 1500 RPM

The log is filled with these messages. any suggestions how to get rid of those? dont really need it to control any fans

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Reading 0 < Threshold 1500 RPM seems to me to imply your CPU fan stops occasionally. Now that should concern you. ;)

quik

Dabbler
I'm pretty sure the readings are just wrong since the readings jump all over the place.
I've taken the mainboard from a server and use it in a normal tower case now. The CPU has adequat cooling, full load never goes over 80-82°
I think the mainboard doesnt handle the CPU cooler (noctua consumer fan) properly.
I found this thread: click here
There its explained how to change the thresholds. I changed them all to 1000 for CPU FAN1, still the same issue
messages like this dont even make sense!?
05/15/2020 | 20:15:13 | Fan CPU_FAN1 | Lower Non-critical going low | Asserted | Reading 1000 < Threshold 1000 RPM

My Solution for now is connecting the cpu fan to a sysfan connector on the mainboard. that seemed to have eliminated the nonsense messages. (I even checked, the cpu fan was spinning at all times, even if ipmi reported 0 RPM

After all i still have the issue that i get the log filled all the time. Any suggestions how to disable the logs? I'm sure the temps are all fine, just the reading is flaky.

Last edited:

ide

Cadet
makes sense :D

Code:
05/15/2020 | 18:41:19 | Fan CPU_FAN1 | Lower Non-critical going low  | Deasserted | Reading 2000 < Threshold 1500 RPM
f90 | 05/15/2020 | 18:41:20 | Fan CPU_FAN1 | Lower Non-critical going low  | Asserted | Reading 0 < Threshold 1500 RPM

The log is filled with these messages. any suggestions how to get rid of those? don't really need it to control any fans

Maybe a good time to clean and/or refresh fans. Especially if this is an old machine. What's temperature of your system?

Status
Not open for further replies.