Volume recovery .... need a help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony

Cadet
Hello,
I've made mistake of lifetime, in simple terms had pool of raidz (4 discs) and wanted to add 3 discs as new raidz pool from another machine previously used for backups. After disc move and pool creation thought that should give different name so tried to recreate pool and while doing that managed to click "destroy volume" on my main pool. So now all my data is gone as well as backups.
Any chance that any of you know is it possible to recreate it? With zpool import -D system does not show any:confused: pools available for recovery. Any help would be appreciated as this is hugely important for me.
Thank you
Tony

Anonymous

Cadet
Moin,
depending on your FreeNAS Revison it is possible that all data are gone.
Normally you can restore a zpool by running
Code:

zpool import -D

This should show you a list of destroyed pools, if they are recoverable.
Depending on your FreeNAS Revision you are a victim of : Ticket #430

yours,
bubulein

ok, so you deleted the wrong pool. 'zpool import -D should list destroyed pools. you'll need to the -f option to actually import it. but from what you said, it does not list the pool.

dumb question, did you elevate your privileges?

Tony

Cadet
Yes it would look logical.. but sadly it's not the case ... if you will delete it thru interface it will not appear in import -D. And it's not due to permissions. I've tried it with su on freenas, and opensolaris no luck in any of them. Not sure is this really possible but quote from ticked #430 gives some hope "If anyone plan to reimport a destroyed will have to manually recreate the GPT scheme manually as it was before." Still not sure how to do that and it will work or no but guess will have to dig deeper to this.

i tested in virtualbox and can confirm that when you destroy a pool from the gui, you Hose the pool, not destroy it.

This would be a Major bug in my opinion as it does not conform to the standard zpool destroy.

I'm not sure how to help you. but I'll start a thread describing the bug.

Status
Not open for further replies.