Register for the iXsystems Community to get an ad-free experience and exclusive discounts in our eBay Store.

Vm-tools?

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Thanks
Hi guys,

I installed TrueCommand as a vm on ESXi noticed that vm-tools isn't installed by default.

What's the "right way" to get them installed? Can I just pkg add it?

-Will

kenmoore

FreeNAS Aware
Thanks
The "open-vm-tools-nox11" and "virtualbox-ose-additions-nox11" packages are both available in the TrueCommand package repository if you want to install those for enhanced VM integration support.

Just run pkg install open-vm-tools-nox11 to install the package.

Thanks
The "open-vm-tools-nox11" and "virtualbox-ose-additions-nox11" packages are both available in the TrueCommand package repository if you want to install those for enhanced VM integration support.

Just run pkg install open-vm-tools-nox11 to install the package.
If I run that I just get "updating catalogue...load error access repo file(/var/db/pkg/repo-Truecommand.sqlite) failed: No Such file or directory

Yesterday when I tried that command, it seemed to be trying but it ran for about 12 hours pegging the CPU and then nothing ever happened. Now it just does what I posted above.

Last edited:
Thanks
OK, it says it installed, no errors, but ESXi still is not getting anything from it, thinks it's not installed. I tried to reboot but didn't help.

UPDATE: I tried to verify vmware_guestd was running, it does not appear to be, I attempted to manually but am only able to do so if i switch to root, how can I make it so it has permission to start the service on boot?

Last edited:
Thanks
Well I think we can just delete this whole sub-forum, it appears to have died before it ever got started. Is anyone here?

Thanks
Came across this today trying out the v1.0 release and you need to enable and start the services after install with:
Code:
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/vmware-kmod enable
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/vmware-kmod start
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/vmware-guestd enable
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/vmware-guestd start

Thanks
hello there,

i have the same problem, and after read this post, i untherstand what to do but i know where can i find the ssh console to do this command line

1 - pkg install open-vm-tools-nox11

then

2 - /usr/local/etc/rc.d/vmware-kmod enable
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/vmware-kmod start
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/vmware-guestd enable
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/vmware-guestd start

anyone can help me ?

thanks