VM keeps dying when I try to use VNC connection

spiceygas

Explorer
Hardware
  • FreeNAS-11.3-U3.2
  • 2x Xeon 2680v3 (12 cores, 24 threads each)
  • Supermicro X10DRi-T4+ Motherboard
  • 128 GB RAM
  • 2x 2TB SSD in Mirror Pool
I have a clean install of FreeNAS. Just setup a VM running Ubuntu Server 20.04 LTS for a pi-hole for my local network.

VM hardware: (This is 2x what I read online that most people give it, so I presume it's sufficient)
  • 2 Cores
  • 1 GB RAM
  • 30 GB disk
The OS is installed, pi-hole is installed, and everything is running. I can administer pi-hole through their webpage without any problems. When I go into FreeNAS admin console and try to use VNC, the VM image hangs and then crashes.
  • If it's shortly after booting the VM then it works fine. I can use VNC, do stuff on the console, disconnect, re-connect, etc. No problems.
  • If I wait a few hours, then when I try to connect with VNC it fails to connect. Then the VM presumably crashes, because when I go back to the Virtual Machine listing it has stopped.
  • I then restart the VM, and everything is working again. Until a few hours passes... and the cycle repeats.

What's weird (aside from crashing whenever I try to use VNC) is that pi-hole continues to work properly without any problems. VNC connection "triggers" something that causes it to die...?

Any ideas what could be wrong? Or what I should look at for diagnosing the problem?

jdrames

Cadet
@spiceygas - I have the same problem here.
System/Hardware:
- FreeNAS-11.3-U4.1
- AMD Ryzen 3600 (6 cores, 12 threads)
- 32 GB Ram
- 3 x 2TB IronWolf drives

I have 2 VMs going; a Win10 Pro system and a Ubuntu system. Both of which will start fine and initially I can connect using VNC connections either through the FreeNAS web interface, noVNC, or through a VNC client on my local system. However, once the VM has been running for awhile (> 1hr) if I try to connect to the VM it just immediately crashes the VM and I have to restart it from the FreeNAS web interface.

Interestingly though, for the Win 10 system I can connect via MSTSC directly to the VM and use it all day without issue. Even coming back the next day I can remote into it with that method without issue. So it's just the FreeNAS VNC system that causes the issue.

It would be nice if this didn't happen for the VNC connections and I have yet to find a root cause of the issue.

spiceygas

Explorer
@jdrames - This other thread seems to be more active and describes the same problem. I'd suggest you post over there.

Last edited: