visibility of plugins from the Internet

bgsimc

Dabbler
Friends, I'm new, I ask for your help in setting up plugins. The essence of the question is - I have a server and it has a static address from an Internet provider(for example 47.240.140.20) when I go to the server’s web interface from the office network and install any plug-in to it for some reason any ip address is assigned (for example 192.168 .0.20) from my local office network :) but the problem is that the server is not physically located in my office network ...
the question is how to make so that the plug-ins would have access via the Internet? for example, a plugin nextcloud that would be available at a static server address.
p.s. Thanks in advance, sorry for my English, Google translate helps me :)

bgsimc

Dabbler
no router in front of the server. The link from the provider's switch comes straight to the server and has a static ip address on the Internet. but at home and at work the same provider

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
So your sever is probably part of a Russian bot network already. You do not put freenas directly on the internet. It must be behind a firewall.

You need to rethink your goals and solution. Why do you put things on the internet. There is pretty much zero reason for a normal person to put a sever directly on the internet.

bgsimc

Dabbler
I live in Ukraine.
So your sever is probably part of a Russian bot network already. You do not put freenas directly on the internet. It must be behind a firewall.

You need to rethink your goals and solution. Why do you put things on the internet. There is pretty much zero reason for a normal person to put a sever directly on the internet.

Do you offer to install the server behind the router and then the server and all installed plugins will receive addressing from the router and will actually be on the same subnet? then how can I get remote access to the plug-in web interface? by port forwarding through the router? With the plex plugin, this raises no questions.

garm

Wizard
Don’t expose the UI to the internet, it is not hardened for that kind of abuse!!

danb35

Hall of Famer
There is pretty much zero reason for a normal person to put a sever directly on the internet.
Nonsense. "Normal" people want access to their data away from home. That means either putting it on someone else's server (which may be undesirable for many reasons), or putting some form of your own server directly on the Internet. Is it risky? Yes, potentially. But there's nonetheless a very strong reason for "normal" people to want to do it.

garm

Wizard
Agreed, I just wish it was easy for people to do client side certificate authentication and encryption. Let’s encrypt is good and all, but something like (finished) WireGuard built in to every consumer router and ipv6 would be a better world. No need to register domains, just do everything locally, device to device.

bgsimc

Dabbler
Nonsense. "Normal" people want access to their data away from home. That means either putting it on someone else's server (which may be undesirable for many reasons), or putting some form of your own server directly on the Internet. Is it risky? Yes, potentially. But there's nonetheless a very strong reason for "normal" people to want to do it.
exactly.
After reading the forum, I understand that many view Freenas only as a local repository :) but sometimes you need access to your personal data, including remotely ... stored in Google or dropbox is doubtful :)

Last edited:

bgsimc

Dabbler
in my opinion, the forums today are more like a meeting of trolls than a place for getting help or advice. The guy asked how to change port 80 of the web interface, and he answered a lot of unnecessary text :) the question is of course stupid as it changes on the main settings page, but they could also tell him about it :)))

garm

Wizard
there are no trolls on the forum as far as I’m aware... but if you don’t understand what you are doing or what you are being told, the
Dunning-Kruger effect has a way of making you label people that way..

garm

Wizard
After reading the forum, I understand that many view Freenas only as a local repository
There is a world of difference exposing a service running in a jail to internet as opposed to exposing FreeNAS itself..

bgsimc

Dabbler
actually my problem is solved. topic can be considered closed. thanks for the help.